🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    abby13
    Participant

I am looking into supplementing my dogs with some oil. I’ve heard Walnut oil is the one to try but at the same time when I do some research it says that black walnuts can poison dogs. Anyone have any suggestions or insight on this? Thanks!

#13821 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi abby13 –

The type of walnut oil that you buy from the health food store isn’t toxic to dogs. However, if you’re going to supplement your dog’s diet with an oil I would go with an animal-based fat. Walnut oil contains omega 3’s and omega 9’s – omega 9’s are not an essential fat for dogs and aren’t of much use and the omega 3’s found in plant-based oils are in the form of alpha-linoleic acid (ALA). Dogs lack the enzyme necessary to convert ALA into a form that their bodies can utilize – eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Fish oils, krill oil and squid oil are all high in omega 3’s in the form a EPA and DHA so they are in a form that can be utilized by the dog. If you want to add a plant-based oil in addition to an animal-based oil, coconut oil would be a good choice – it’s high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) comprised of lauric acid, capric acid, caprylic acid, myristic acid and palmitic. The lauric acid component has antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties. MCTs are also metabolized quicker than other fats to provide your dog with quick energy. Coconut oil is also great for the skin and coat.

#13877 Report Abuse
    shelties mom
    Participant

What are some of the brand names for high quality krill oil?

#13885 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Wysong sells krill oil capsules on their human supplements page. I use their supplements for both myself and my dogs frequently, they’re very high quality. NOW Foods and Health from the Sun sell krill oil capsules that can be found online and at health food stores – I have used products from both these brands for myself and my dogs as well.

#13896 Report Abuse
    abby13
    Participant

Thank you Hound Dog Mom! How much do you give your dog? I’m wanting to use it for my about 12 pound dachshund. I always feel fairly educated and then I read something like this and I feel as if I know nothing!

#13901 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi abby13 –

Dr. Becker recommends the following dosages for fish oils:

-250 mg. daily for toy breeds and cats (1 – 14 lbs.)
    -500 mg. daily for small dogs (15 – 29 lbs.)
    -1,000 mg. daily for medium dogs (30 – 49 lbs.)
    -1,500 mg. daily for large dogs (50 – 79 lbs.)
    -2,000 mg. daily for dogs 80+ lbs.

If you’re giving fish oil in liquid form – 1 tsp. equals approximately 4,500 mg. Most capsules come in 500 mg. and 1,000 mg. So for your dog you could give a 500 mg. capsule every other day or 1/4 tsp. oil or a 1,000 mg. capsule 2 or 3 times per week.

#14804 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I bought krill from Mercola for my dogs. It comes in a super convenient airless pump bottle. One pump per ten pounds of body weight. Clean, neat, easy, quality.

Unfortunately, I’ve discovered that the dog I bought it for seems to turn her nose up at most things fishy. The other dog who doesn’t really need it, loves it. Go figure. I have yet to find a kibble or canned food that is fish protein based that Dog A really likes. She will, however, devour a tinned sardine. She eats high quality kibble, canned toppers and the occasional meal of Darwin’s raw, but the black part of her coat (she’s a tri-color Cavalier) still isn’t that shiny in some places ~ in particular, on her rump. I use organic coconut oil, but not as regularly as I should to really see the benefit in her coat quality. I also add an occasional raw egg. I’m thinking my next supplement of choice will be Solid Gold Sea Meal.

Why are you wanting to supplement with oil? Is there something you’re hoping to correct?

#14844 Report Abuse
    abby13
    Participant

I have a dog that has super dry skin. I have her on a rotational diet and its the same with all of the food she has tried. I’ve considered trying Salmon oil but it’s so high in fat. How long has the krill last with your dogs?

#14845 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

abby13 –

All oil has the same amount of fat and all is high in fat – oil is pure fat. 1 tsp. of krill oil has the same amount of fat as 1 tsp. salmon oil. I’m not sure what the fat levels are in the foods you’re feeding but if you’re keeping fat levels low this could be a big reason why she has dry skin. Fat is necessary for healthy skin and coat (in addition to many other things). If she has dry skin I would keep her on a food with at least 15% fat. Supplementing with fish or krill oil would be a good idea too – I’m not sure how big she is, but I posted a dosage chart above. Coconut oil is another fat that is known to help improve skin and coat quality. Remember, dogs have no dietary requirement for carbohydrates and can thrive on protein and fat alone – dogs utilize fat for energy and can tolerate much higher fat levels than people. I’m not sure if you bathe her, but if she has dry skin I’d also watch the number of baths you give. If you bathe her too frequently that can dry the skin. When you do bathe her, make sure to use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Daily brushing can also help to distribute the oils in the fur and help moisturize the skin.

#79291 Report Abuse
    Elaine W

It was suggested that I use Black Walnut Oil to calm my 12 year old dog down when it came to fireworks etc. Is this true or is there something else I should consider as we approach Bonfire Night on the 5th Nov. ( but they start early and continue after 🙁 )

#79293 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Consult a veterinarian, there are medications prescribed for canine anxiety disorders that have proven to be quite effective. I had a dog that did well on a low dose of clomipramine, she was able to be tapered off of it in after few months, it was prescribed for separation anxiety/thunderstorm/fireworks phobia.
    Why mess with food supplements?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.