🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I am sure it was covered here but I can not find it. I want to order some premix balancers for raw meat. I am going to order Steve Browns for BONELESS, but I could have sworn somewhere I saw one mentioned for bone IN meats? Or have I lost my mind?? LOL

#47423 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Someone said that Steve is thinking about launching a pre-mix for bone in meats. Feline Instincts makes a whole carcass pre-mix and there’s of course Alnutrin – both for cats, but would be fine for dogs (really the only difference is they add taurine). There’s one that Sandy has tried but I can never remember the name of it. Honestly though, just adding a multivitamin is way cheaper and covers all the bases. I use Twinlab Daily One – $0.11 per serving versus probably $1.00+ per serving I’d spend using a pre-mix.

#47425 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

CarnivorRaw from youngagainpetfood.com has the bone-in supplement.

#47514 Report Abuse
    Lilmonster

Hound Dog Mom –

Hi, after I read your above response I posted a question to you in a separate topic that I started with questions regarding switching my pup to raw, but realizing I probably should have just asked here since I’m not sure if you’ll see the other one. Copy & pasted below. Thanks!

– I know you can’t add the See Spot Live Longer dinner mix to bone-in meats, but am I also correct in assuming that if I begin adding RMBs in the PM and continue to feed boneless ground meat + See Spot Live Longer mix in the AM that it would be too much calcium? Ideally I’d like to continue using the SSLL simply because it’s the easiest way for me to not have to worry that her nutrition is unbalanced while I’m still learning to balance her meals myself. I did see the most recent topic mentioning CarnivoreRaw but that’s a bit out of my budget. **Hound Dog Mom, do you use the Twinlab Daily One with or without iron? Also, I noticed the Twinlab does have calcium in it, does that not matter because the amount is so low? If I choose to go the multivitamin route, can I then add other things like fruits and veggies and such without worrying about overloading on a specific vitamin/mineral or will I have to be careful with what I add?

#47516 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Lilmonster –

Raw meaty bones have a balanced calcium to phosphorus ratio, it’s just really high. You can certainly try feeding boneless meat with the See Spot Liver Longer Dinner Mix in the morning and raw meaty bones in the evening – as long as your dog doesn’t get constipated it should be fine. You can also feed a little boneless meat along with the raw meaty bones or alternate between meals of raw meaty bones and something like tripe to lower the calcium to phosphorus ratio. I know my girls get constipated if they eat an entire meal of raw meaty bones so I usually throw in a handful of hearts or gizzards. Also, if you’re only feeding the dinner mix for one meal a day and feeding raw meaty bones for the other, I’d highly recommend using the guidelines for puppies (4 tbs. per pound of meat versus 2 tbs.) to ensure that your dog is getting all the nutrients he needs.

I use the Twinlab Daily One with iron. The AAFCO minimum for iron is 80 mg/kg and the maximum is 3,000 mg/kg. So with 10 mg. per capsule, the Twinlab Daily One with Iron poses no risk of overdosing the dog on iron and it provides extra insurance in the event that a meal is too low in iron (which is a distinct possibility if the dog isn’t getting much red meat and/or organ meat). There is little to no risk of overdosing on vitamins and minerals from whole food sources, especially fruits and vegetables. The amount of calcium in the Twinlab Daily One isn’t high enough to affect anything.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #47550 Report Abuse
    Lilmonster

Hound Dog Mom –

Thank you so so much, that info really helps! Also, if you have the time and feel inclined to do so, could you please take a quick look at my thread? If not, no worries at all, but I would love your input as all of the responses I’ve seen from you here have been so informative. Thanks again 🙂

/forums/topic/trying-to-make-a-plan-for-switching-to-raw-questions/

#47909 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi All-
    I am thinking of buying the See Spot Live Longer dinner mix. I probably will just use it one meal per week to start with. Would this be OK? Also, can I just add plain ground turkey found in a grocery store as the added meat? The more I learn, the more I realize that I don’t really know that much about the food I eat! Like, what part of the turkey or beef is found in the ground meat I buy to make spaghetti, tacos, etc. Or do I have to go to the butcher or somewhere special to get the added meat for the mix? I’m having a hard time finding a turkey based kibble that works for them. I thought I’d try feeding them the real deal once a week! Thanks for any suggestions.

#47911 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi C4C,

Do you ever order from My Pet Carnivore or Hare Today? I just received a MPC order and I know that they had both fine and coarse while ground turkey (muscle meat, organs and bone).

https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=16&lang=en

#47921 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

No, I never have. I have been taking baby steps with this feeding my dogs and cats better adventure. I use mostly Kibbles with various toppers so far. I have been feeding frozen raw nuggets as toppers for two meals a week though. This will be a bigger step towards home made for me if I do it. I was just hoping to buy a couple pounds of ground turkey at Costco once a week to mix with the dinner mix and add sardines also for their “Sardine Sunday” supper. Would that work once a week, or does the ground turkey I’d get at a grocers not be right?

#47922 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

C4C you can use the ground turkey from a store. I’ve done that before. It would probably be cheaper than buying from Hare Today or MPC anyways. I usually get my meat like that from my butcher, because they use stuff from free range places with no added hormones or any other crap like that. “Sardine Sunday”? I love that, lol!!

#47924 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Thank you, Cyndi. I hope you can figure out what is going on with your pup 🙂

#47927 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks C4C, me too! & you’re very welcome! 🙂

#47929 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I think your plan sounds like a good one. There would be no reason at all not to be able to use the ground turkey from Costco or the grocery store. I think when we keep things simple and the budget isn’t a stretch, we’re more likely to be successful in keeping up with it going forward.

Have you ever looked at the MPC site? You might find recreational and raw meaty treats you like for both pups and kitties. ; ) But, yes, I also agree that it would be much more costly.

#47951 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, definitely don’t want to be overwhelmed! I feel like I have been making some improvements every few months. Thank you for your recommendations.

#48719 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Ok, I did it. I ordered the See Spot Live Longer Dinner Mix. Big move for me. LOL! Hoping to have at least one kibble free meal a week. I’ll report back on how it goes!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.