🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Codex

So this started a few days ago. My dog seemed like she was trying to shake something out of her ear. I tried cleaning both ears and there’s no smell or debris. Why would she be doing this? Would flushing her ear help?

#39352 Report Abuse

It sounds like something deep down in the ear. A vet visit is your best option. Hard shaking can result in a hematoma and your bill will be $400 or more for surgery insteaf of $100 for exam and meds.

#39353 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I also don’t think I’d try to flush it out, it might just force whatever’s in there further down into the ear canal. Poor pup. He must be miserable.

#39355 Report Abuse
    Codex

She was only doing it a couple times a day. Thank you for your input. I guess I’m going to call around to try to get her into a vet tomorrow.

#39376 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Let us know how it goes 🙂 it does sound like there’s probably something lodged in there.

But my lab used to vigorously shake her head due to otitis. That was an almost continuous thing though, and medication only masked the symptoms. It was only when I finally convinced my parents that cheapest food doesn’t mean it’ll cost the least in the long run….now she’s off of those nasty chemicals and certain grains, and doing fabulous! 😀

#39379 Report Abuse
    Codex

She’s never had any trouble with her ears. They are upright like German Shepherd ears. I’ve been rotating her food around–all grain free foods. I think she might be sensitive to chicken, therefore I’ve been avoiding those foods. I’m hoping it’ll be as easy as antibiotics and/or ear drops. There’s nothing worse than an itch you can’t reach:(.

#39385 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Keeping my fingers crossed for her. Keep us updated! 🙂

#39411 Report Abuse
    Codex

At the vet right now. She’s getting an ear swab. Vet says her ears look completely normal and sometimes people and dogs have earpain and discomfort. Neither of them even addressed the issue of the ear hematoma until I brought it up. Think they were planning on sending me on my merry way totally discounting the fact that her is bothering her.

#39420 Report Abuse
    Codex

So I guess she’s going to get Remicin for her right ear and I also bought Benadryl in case she’s having allergies.

#39421 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

What was the diagnosis?

If you’re dealing with yeast in the ear, you might want to reconsider what you’re feeding. The first sign of my dog’s food intolerance is usually a gunky right ear.

#39423 Report Abuse
    Codex

She’s got super clean, non smelly ears. They aren’t red or inflamed. Nothing lodged inside ear.

The vet tech was praising both Blue Buffalo and Royal Canin’s feather food.

Vet doesn’t know what’s up. He wasn’t concerned at all. Might be an allergy which I why I asked about using benadryl. I’m really hoping it’s not a food allergy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.