Vet's dog food advice

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Vet's dog food advice

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Scout0421
    Participant

We recently adopted a 6 month old lab mix, after our 15 year old lab mix passed away from old age. We went through a rather frustrating time in more recent years with all the dog food recalls, so I was careful to do my homework before bringing the new pup home – ultimately settling on Fromm Four Star Nutritionals Grain Free kibble. While I was out of town on business, my husband took our pup for his first check-up at the vet. I was very surprised to hear after the fact that our vet was NOT pleased with our selection of dog food. She told my husband that Fromm does a very good job of marketing itself, but she feels there are better foods out there. Specifically, Eukanuba, Purina One, Royal Canin or Hill’s Science Diet. I’m slightly suspicious of these recommendations as the vet’s off sells two of the three brands she recommended. I’m actually stunned that she prefers Purina One over Fromm’s.

I thought we had really done our due diligence selecting a quality food, make with quality ingredients, that had never been recalled. Now I don’t know what to think. Either what I’ve read is way off base, or our vet is a terrible source of advice on canine nutrition. Thoughts?

#16770 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’d stick with the Fromm’s. The vet is only taught those brands in school. Try finding a holistic vet. Mine actually sells raw foods in her clinic. http://www.ahvma.org/

This is from Dr Wysong:

“TRUTH 82: YOU CAN’T RELY ON EXPERTS

I took 8½ years of college credits learning to be a veterinary physician and surgeon. Only one course in nutrition was required. And that concentrated on food animals, not pets.

With that I was supposed to be a nutrition expert. After graduation clients came to me seeking my “expert” nutritional advice. This is the most profound thing we veterinarians graduate with: Feed a name brand, not a generic, and don’t imbalance the foods by feeding table scraps. Obviously, as you are learning, I don’t agree with me any longer. But at the time I was quite proud of myself for being able to dispense such wisdom.

It’s what my professors taught me to say. Their wisdom came from what they learned from brochures provided to veterinary schools by the pet food companies. The pet nutrition taught in veterinary schools is not a product of critical evaluation, but rather results from some manufacturers (with the deepest pockets) providing free products for the teaching hospi­tals along with polished marketing materials. Pet food companies are no dummies. Brainwashing infants (in this case, veterinary neophytes) is highly effective and will more than pay for itself when graduates move to prac­tice and recommend all they have come to know.

Medical schools make nutrition seem like a soft science, a branch of homemaking so to speak. Students and professors are much more enthralled by dissections, microscopes, surgery, syringes, and x-ray machines.

Besides, all those “name brand” pet food companies had all the details figured out. All that pets needed to do was eat their “100% complete and balanced” foods and nutrition could be put out of consideration as a factor in health.

Most other pet professionals – pet store clerks, breeders, groomers, boarders, etc.- know even less since no formal scientific training at all is required of them. But pet owners need to rely on the advice of someone, so they go to those who say they are experts. These “experts” don’t purposely try to mislead the public. What they have to say is just all they know, or it’s where the money is because they represent a particular brand.

A veterinarian has an excellent background in the sciences to use as a base to gain some true nutritional understanding. A few do this, but not many. If you find one, pay attention. Pet professionals, unless educated well in the sciences, have a more difficult task and are more easily bamboozled by pet food technomarketing or popular lore. Their lack of scientific depth also makes them vulnerable to reducing pet health and feeding to simplistic myths such as the benefits of a certain ingredi­ent or the horrors of another. Usually they happen to be selling the brand that has the special ingredient and is without the horrible one.

So there is no easy way for you. You cannot simply trust someone who puts themselves forth as an expert. For you to even know what is or is not good advice, you must engage your mind, learn a little, and put truth first. Ultimately, in matters of health for yourself or your pets, you are the most reliable expert.”

#16771 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Congratulations! You now know more about dog nutrition than your vet. If she tries to apply any pressure on you to choose one of her lousy foods then quickly find a new vet. Is your area so different from mine? I haven’t seen Fromm’s “very good job at marketing itself.” That alone should tell you something. I’ve seen Purina’s marketing, and Science Diet’s too. Iam/Eukanuba has been on the TV quite a lot lately, and Royal Canin is plastered on almost every wall at the vet. Who’s doing a very good job at marketing? And that’s not even mentioning how they market to vet students. That truly is brain washing.

#16773 Report Abuse
    dowsky

just with that advice from your vet would send me out the door and onto a new vet! fromm’s is a quality food and the ones suggested are not very good. If my vet said what yours did i would run fast and far from that vet. this is just my opinion. just read the bag. dogs do not need nor do they use corn, wheat, soy, or any gluttens. read the bag. read the bag, read the bag………..

#16781 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I agree, stick with the Fromm. For Dowsky, if I left every vet who recommended what they sell, I’d be traveling an hour for a vet. My holistic vet is 40 min away but you mut have a regular vet as well.

#16871 Report Abuse
    ellie06
    Participant

I’m really quite surprised your vet preferred Eukanuba, Purina, Science Diet, and Royal Canin as opposed to a brand like Fromm. I would strongly suggest you switch vets.

#16872 Report Abuse
    DieselJunki

Sometimes you can educate your vet. Bring in paperwork give list of sources ect. and hope they are open to learning something new that they probably didn’t teach them in school.
    They could have been brain washed so to speak like many other people out there. Sometimes they just need a push in the right direction. I talked to my vet about feeding raw, at first she was not really all that happy with my decision but I explained myself and some of the little knowledge I knew of it. It helped let her know that I knew what I was doing (sort of haha) and had done my homework on it extensively before deciding to do it. I can’t say she is still a big fan of a raw diet but we have come to an understanding. I would still use her for ailments and shots and such.

Now there was one orthopedic vet that I actually got into a little bit of an argument with due to my kibble choice at that time. She to recommended all those cruddy brands. When I started talking to her about calcium levels due to him being a large breed dog it was like she was disgusted that I would even do such a thing. I began to explain myself and the research I had done and I could tell I wasn’t getting threw to her and she wasn’t understanding me. She kept pushing and telling me I wasn’t doing good for my dog and it would hurt him in later years. I would never use that place ever again due to her reaction.

All in all, don’t believe everything your vet tells you, do your own research before saying yes to things like unneeded shots and such.

#17188 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d stick with the Fromm’s. I’d also be very leery of a vet who endorsed the products you listed.

#17212 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

CSollers,

Are you a Pugvillager?

#17215 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Sandy. Yes, one and the same. Pug Authority Also.

#17217 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Ha! Thought so! I’m Pugtown.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.