🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    eli s

Hi everyone,

I bought my 13 years old Labrador the Vets Choice Holistic Health Extension Lite because she has weight problems.
    Yes, I know there are better choices, but where I live the choices are limited.

One more choice is the Wysong senior but it is a bit more expensive.

So my questions are:

1. Is the Wysong senior a better choice?

2. Regardless of the Wysong, is the Vets Choice Holistic Health Extension Lite a good choice anyway?

Thank you

• This topic was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by eli s.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by eli s.
    #45427 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

The Vets Choice looks like a fine food to me. It is rated 4 stars. With any food, you just have to make sure they burn off more calories than they consume. Is your dog getting plenty of exercise? I didn’t check out the Wysong’s review. Maybe you could rotate between the two?

#45473 Report Abuse
    eli s

The Vets Choice original is rated 4 stars, but there is no rating for the lite version. Should I assume it is the same rating?

#45474 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, they are all 4 unless stated otherwise. As in this case, the grain free is 4.5 stars. I think the Wysong senior is also 4 stars.

#45475 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I have no experience with this food, I think Naturella uses it though, if she pops in. Wysong is nice. The protein on the vet’s choice lite is pretty low (24%), so it may actually not be 4 stars-however, certain specific dietary needs foods aren’t rated on this site for that reason. They have specific criteria they need to get, so they don’t fall into DFA’s rating system.

Comparison for two weight loss foods I’ve seen a lot of people use (no experience myself)

Wellness Core Reduced Fat: 33% Protein
    Annamaet Lean: 30% Protein

#45481 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I’ve used Wellness Core Reduced Fat with success for my young Cavalier who gains weight very easily. I’d recommend it.

I recently came across another food I’d love to try her on, Go! Senior. I buy most of my dog’s foods online and Chewy.com carries it. It looks like an excellent product!

http://www.petcurean.com/for-dogs/go/fit-and-free-grain-free-senior

#45508 Report Abuse
    eli s

@aquariangt, could you please explain what you mean by “They have specific criteria they need to get, so they don’t fall into DFA’s rating system”?

As I have already mentioned, choices in my country are limited as I am not from the USA. Wellness Core and Annamaet Lean are not being sold in my country.

As for Go! Senior, I tried the Fit and Free edition. It was nice but the price is too expensive im afraid. I paid $36 just for the smallest bag (5 lbs I think)
    Wysong and Vets Choice are also not cheap but its cheaper than the GO!

Is 24% protein is really that low? The Wysong senior has 25% and it is rated 4 stars.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by eli s.
    #45519 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Eli,

24% is awfully low. But, there are ways you can add protein with healthy, fresh whole food ingredients. You could add fresh lean meats, fresh cage free eggs and sardines packed in water. Just keep your toppers to no more than 20% of your dog’s diet and just be sure to adjust the amount of kibble you feed.

#45532 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I meant sometimes FDA doesn’t rate foods that are specifically for something (weight loss, joint health, etc) because they are made for normal dog maintenance, and may need to have certain parameters, dr mike doesn’t always review them.

What stores do you have to shop at? Can you order online?

#45537 Report Abuse
    eli s

The problem with foods that are not senior/weight loss, is that there is also an increase in % fat. I am well aware that its better to give the normal kind, but I am afraid of a weight gain.

Ordering online wont change anything as a lot of brands just does not exist in my country.

Looking at the Wysong senior and Wysong adult again, I can see that the difference between them is only the % protein which is higher for the adult brand (28% vs 25%).

I am leaning towards the Wysong. All other parameters looks the same (besides the meat ingredients)

http://www.wysong.net/products/senior-healthy-natural-dog-food.php

http://www.wysong.net/products/adult-healthy-natural-dog-food.php

The Wysong has 14% fat and the Vets Choice Holistic lite has %9

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by eli s.
    #45541 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Eli-
    I think it is only prescription food that will not be rated on this site due to being formulated for specific conditions. Don’t get too crazy trying to choose. Just get one and try it out! We can make ourselves miserable trying to choose and then the bag just lasts for a few weeks and then we can buy something else. No one food is perfect. Just make sure you control how much is fed and increase the exercise. It’s healthy to feed variety!

#45728 Report Abuse
    eli s

OK, so I have purchased the Vets Choice Holistic Health Extension Lite. The recommended feeding mount for the weight is 2 cups a day. But I am afraid it would be too much, so I think Im gonna feed 1 cup and add some veggies

#45733 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Eli,

I think I’d add protein (like fresh lean meat), rather than veggies, if you’re concerned about weight. Also, you need to keep the extras to no more than 20% of your dog’s diet or he won’t be getting the correct amount of vitamins and minerals intended for the kibble you choose.

#45817 Report Abuse
    eli s

Hi Betsy,

Would the veggies be a bad choice? would it increase her weight? Im not adding a lot of it, just some cooked veggies like carrots, green beans and cucumber.

#45821 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Veggies that add carbs, like carrots, peas, corn are a bad idea. A better idea would be dark green leafy veggies or brightly colored veggies. They are more likely to have all the micronutrients that dog food makers don’t typically add back into their foods.

#45823 Report Abuse
    eli s

Can you give an example of such veggies?

#45829 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Spinach, kale, red lettuces, red bellpeppers, yellow squash, a little carrot is OK. I even throw in some berries, for the antioxidants, even though they are high in sugar, a little goes a long way. Ground nuts and seeds are great too.

#45860 Report Abuse
    eli s

I also know that green beans and cucumber are good and low with calories, isn’t that true?

#45861 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes!!

#46102 Report Abuse
    eli s

If I take a food that is not considered lite with 14% but 28% protein, would it be bad comparing to the 9% fat that the Vets Choice has? Does the difference between 9% fat and 14% is meaningful for a dog that gain weight easily?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.