šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rudy g

Hi. I was wondering something. Is it ok to add some peas, carrots or any vegetables to the blue wilderness food for my timber/shephard and my GSD?

Also what about cottage cheese?

thx.

#40749 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Cottage cheese and vegetables are both safe to use as toppers for kibble – just keep any unbalanced toppers to 20% or less of the meal so you don’t throw off the nutritional balance. Being that kibble is already quite low in protein and high in plant matter though, I feel your dog would derive more benefit from toppers high in animal protein like the cottage cheese – some other good options are eggs, tinned sardines, fresh meat or high protein canned foods (if topping with a balanced canned food the 20% rule doesn’t apply – you can add as much as you want).

#40752 Report Abuse
    rudy g

Thx for the information. My GSD (Khaleesi) is 1 year and 1 month old. My timber wolf shephard is 7 weeks old. What are your thought on Blue wilderness for large breed pups?

What food do yall recommend for both?

The pup came with Diamond for large breed puppies. Is it better?

I also only have a Petsmart in townā€¦.what do yall recommend from there?

Any vitamins?

thx.

#40754 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Rudy –

I wouldn’t recommend Blue Buffalo products for a large breed puppy. Proper calcium levels are crucial during the first 8 months or so in order to minimize the chances of developmental orthopedic disease and Blue won’t disclose their calcium levels.

There’s a large breed puppy forum here. There’s a list of appropriate 4 and 5 star foods somewhere in that forum, I’m sure there’s something you could find at Petsmart.

I wouldn’t recommend adding vitamins to an already balanced food unless done so at the recommendation of a veterinarian. However, there some nutraceuticals that can be beneficial – such as probiotics, enzymes, omega 3’s, wholefood/superfoods (i.e. kelp, spirulina, bee pollen, etc.), coconut oil, glandular supplements, garlic, etc. I like to keep several of these types of supplements on hand and rotate around.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 12 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 12 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #40820 Report Abuse
    ab1028

The food that I would most highly recommend from PetSmart is Wellness Core. Simply Nourish is also a good brand that many people have had success with.

#40894 Report Abuse
    rudy g

Would it be ok to feed my 1year 2 month old the large breed puppy food I will be getting for Bear (7 week old timber wolf shepherd)?

I ask because I have heard it might be better than adult? Thx.

#40910 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes, it is just fine to feed adult dogs on puppy food, but don’t feed puppies adult food.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.