urinary crystals

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health urinary crystals

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Linda B

my 4 yeara old chihuahua mix has developed urinary crystals. she has at least three different kids. struvite and oxalate and amorphous phosphate. he started her on purina pro UR which she hates, canned and dry…I rechecked her two weeks later and thats when the other two crystals showed up. He said to keep her on the food. I insisted on another urine and took one in 6 weeks later. i will get the results tomorrow. I need to ind her something to eat that she will actually eat. I was feeding her Merrick back in the day, and she quit eating it and i tried earthborn. she wasn’t real crazy about it either. Then she went on purina pro focus, then they found these crystals. anyone have any idea what kind of food would be good to help with the crystals that is maybe not so disgusting the dog won’t eat it? haha I need help, badly, and any help you give me will be appreciated by me and Baby! Thanks Her ph was 7.0, her specific gravity was elevated at 1.059. Protein was elevated at 1+ she did not have any bacteria in her urine like you see sometimes with struvites. He did not put her on an antibiotic since it showed no UTI

#119814 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Your dog has a serious condition. I would go exactly by what the examining veterinarian advises.
    Prescription/therapeutic diet and all. Nothing else, for now. She will eat when she is hungry enough. Offer meals at the same time every day. Pick up and store in the fridg till the next mealtime if not consumed within 15 minutes. I would not be concerned as long as she is drinking water, if she goes 72 hours without eating solid food call the vet and see what he suggests.
    Per the search engine: /forums/topic/bladder-stones-in-6-year-old-female-pug/#post-113166

#119830 Report Abuse
    Lori H
    Participant

Hi Linda,

My dog Buddy has been through a lot, much like your dog. He is now 11 and during his life he has had surgery on his spleen, surgery for bladder stones, been diagnosed with Diabetes and I was told by my vet that he was suffering from liver failure and was preparing me for the fact that Buddy was going to die. The liver failure diagnosis was over two years and today, he is healthy, happy, looks amazing and has so much energy. I just had him into the vet for blood work and his numbers are almost perfect (350 is perfect, he is sitting at 351)! It has been an amazing turnaround so I know how you feel. I basically had to get him healthy myself. My vet did not support my decision to do what I did, but he is healthy and that is all that matters!

I now believe wholeheartedly that most vets know nothing about nutrition. They are told to carry a line of food in their offices by one of the large pharma/dog food companies because most of these companies go out and recruit at the vet universities across the United States when vets are in school and provide them with a kickback when the sell either Science Diet or Royal Canin in their clinics, up to 40%. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my vet, I just don’t believe he knows much of anything about nutrition. He has been great to me, my dog Buddy and my three cats. He is good at what he does, diagnose and perform much needed surgeries and procedures. He did Buddy’s bladder stone surgery which has complications.

I was at my wits end as well and thought that I was going to lose Buddy, but I was not willing to give up so I did a Google search and found an amazing person who brought Buddy back to the healthy dog he is.

Buddy is on a very special diet and he has made huge strides in the last 10+ months. He is a very healthy dog to what he was 6 months ago.

I worked with a man named Rick Scheyer. He has an amazing website http://www.doglivershunt.com He has helped many dogs with liver shunt, kidney disease, bladder stone problems and much, much more become healthy dogs again. I would suggest reaching out to him for a free consultation. It might be the answer you need.

If you choose to go with his program, it is not cheap, but I believe that over time, I will save money by not taking Buddy to the vet time and time again because I don’t know what is wrong and having a battery of tests run and racking up bills in the thousands, I have been there!

He was slowly weened off of his processed food Science Diet U/D and placed on a diet of fresh veggies and meat based on a very slow transition to follow with Rick’s help.

Buddy’s diet is a balance of ¾ veggies to ¼ meats. Dogs with liver issues do not need as much protein as you would expect. He gets lots of yellow veggies (squash, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, celery, carrots, Brussel sprouts, snap peas, etc.) along with hemp oil and nori blended with goat yogurt into almost a smoothie consistency. I then add meats, liver is great as it helps to detoxify the liver (funny that you feed liver to a dog with liver issuesJ) and then he gets a variety of supplements. He receives three gut supplements in the morning (Acidophilus, Bifudus and a Spectrabiotic) along with an Enzyme and something called Whole Body. In the evenings he gets the Enzyme, Whole Body and a Mushroom supplement. The process to make his food is not that time consuming and if you are at your wits end like I was, I was ready to do anything.

He also gets to have as much goat yogurt as he wants with coconut oil. He also gets sweet potato chews and coconut slices.

He is also allowed to eat fruits, not during his morning and evening meals since they digest differently than veggies, but he has not yet warmed up to them yet. I don’t know if he ever will.

He is doing great! He has so much energy and the numbers don’t lie! I got a glucose meter and I am going to start checking his levels daily. I would really like to get him off the insulin if I can. I believe the medicine is what causes the blindness, not the actual diabetes, my vet believes otherwise.

My vet has not said much of anything. I explained I was taking him off the prescription food and putting him on this program and he never responded. When I took him in the last time for blood work, I think he was surprised Buddy was doing so well, but did not ask me further about what I was doing. He is a pretty straight and narrow vet and I don’t think he looks outside the box. If Buddy’s glucose numbers continue to decline, I will take him back and back off on the number of units he is given. Now it is just maintenance and keeping a spreadsheet and monitoring how he is doing.

I suggest reaching out. I think Rick saved Buddy’s life. I took him to the vet in October to have blood work done and he is perfectly healthy!

Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Good luck on your search and reach out if you have further questions or concerns. It was hard to take the jump and trust someone other than my vet with my dogs nutritional health, but I am so glad that I did.

Lori

#119831 Report Abuse
    Lori H
    Participant

Read this specifically on Rick’s website regarding bladder stones: http://www.doglivershunt.com/bladder-stones.html

Good luck!

Lori

#119832 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Note the disclaimer (regarding the above site the link takes you to)
    Also, no veterinarian appears to be affiliated with the site.

“The statements in this page have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration”.
    “The advice and suggested products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease”.

“The material on this site is provided for educational and informational purposes only and must not be taken as “medical advice”.

“The information and directions in these writings, individually and collectively, are in no way to be considered as a substitute for consultations with a duly licensed Veterinarian regarding diagnosis and/or treatment of disease and are not intended to diagnose or treat your dog”.

#119852 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Linda,

Does your vet stock Hills vet diets?
    When you go to the vet office again, go to the vet diet food section & look at the Hills C/d Multicare Chicken & Veggies stew https://www.hillspet.com.au/dog-food/pd-cd-multicare-canine-chicken-and-vegetable-canned
    My dog eats the Hills I/d Chicken & Veggies Stew it smells really good…
    Hills have improved all their vet diets, Hills know when a dog is feeling unwell some dogs have NO appetite so Hills have brought out their Stews… they’re all money back guaranteed…

All these Hills Vet diets are for Bladder Urinary problems, talk with your vet about trying a different vet diet if he wants you to feed a vet diet & show him the Hills i/d Gi Restore Low Fat wet can food & the C/d Multicare wet can food.
    https://www.hillspet.com.au/search?_BRAND=pd&_CONDITION=urinaryHealth&_SPECIES=dog
    if your dog does love the Hills wet can foods, you go online & find a cheaper online Pet Store like Chewy & buy the 24 can in cartoon just need to ask your vet for Prescription in America… You have a little dog so it wont be too expensive…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.