🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ShihTzuOwner
    Participant

So if anyone has checked out my other topic, I’ve been feeding my Shih Tzu Blue Buffalo’s FREEDOM Grain-Free Puppy Formula. On the side of the bag it says to feed my puppy 1/4 of a cup based on his weight. Now when I saw this I thought 1/4 a cup for EACH feeding. So all this time, I’ve been feeding my puppy 3/4 of a cup everyday. Sometimes he eats all of it. Sometimes he leaves some.

However, 1/4 of a cup daily divided between 3 feedings? 3 teaspoons a feeding?!? That sounds like such a small amount.

#22258 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

My 12 lbs JRT eats 2/3 of a cup plus enough other stuff to make it 3/4 of a cup. Feeding guidelines are just that, guidelines, so don’t feel you have to stick to it, but feed to have a lean athletic puppy or you will have joint problems later in life. What size are you expecting this puppy to be when it is grown?

#22270 Report Abuse
    ShihTzuOwner
    Participant

Not much, he’s only going to get bigger length size and probably just a little for his height. He’s a toy breed after all.

#22272 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’ve seen lots of toy breeds that ended up reaching 20 lbs, so that really doesn’t help. Is he in the 5 lb range or the 10 lb range or the 15 lb range? And what is his age? If he is one of the truly tiny ones then 1/4 cup might be appropriate. Don’t feed according to how much you love him, he’ll explode!!

#22281 Report Abuse
    ShihTzuOwner
    Participant

Oh sorry, now I understand what you mean.

Currently, he’s only about to be 9 weeks and is a little over 3lbs.

#22313 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

So she should top out at about 8 lbs. How much does the food say to feed a 8 lb adult? I’m thinking she might need as much as 1/2 cup a day, but what it all boils down to is how she does on the food. Try feeding 1/2 cup a day for a few days and pay special attention to how her ribs and hips feel. You should be able to feel both, but they shouldn’t be standing out. if she feels like she is getting more padding over her rib cage then decrease the food a little more. With my 12 lb dog, I adjust her food a few pieces at a time, since I already know what she generally needs.

#22323 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

My giant toy dogs are 24 and 30 lbs! And still eat 2/3 cup total per day plus treats.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.