Ubiquinol

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    shelties mom
    Participant

I have been reading about Ubiquinol supplement for dogs on Mercola’s site, does anyone give this supplement to your dogs? I don’t want to oversupplement but would like to add this if this is an essential supplement. I’m concerned about their dental health, despite brushing them daily, they still get tarter on front teeth and thought this might help? They get poultry necks and feet a few times a week but not hard bones such as marrow or leg bones. There are some black spots on their gums between teeth and been supplementing with Standard Process Bio-Dent, which seems to help reduce the redness. Any ideas?

#16723 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I wouldn’t consider ubiquinol an essential supplement, but I also wouldn’t worry about oversupplementing by giving it. The concern with oversupplementaion is generally only a huge concern with synthetic vitamins and minerals. Ubiquinol definitely has a lot of benefits although I wouldn’t bank on it eliminating plaque build-up. I’ve heard it promotes dental health, but if brushing and RMBs aren’t doing it I doubt this will. Ubiquinol is the reduced and active form of CoQ10 – fresh meat (especially fish and organ meat) is naturally rich in CoQ10.

#16725 Report Abuse
    shelties mom
    Participant

HDM,
    Thanks for your reply. I’m curious of how most raw fed BIG dogs I’ve met have pearly white teeth and their owners never have to brush their teeth? Do you use any dental products for their teeth?

#16726 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Shelties Mom –

My dogs get RMBs for dinner every night and I brush their teeth daily. All three have pearly whites with no visible buildup – even my 8 year old senior. As far as small breed dogs being more prone to dental issues I can’t say for sure, I’ve never owned a small dog. I can say though, my grandmother has a 1 year old yorkiepoo that had visible buildup by 8 months of age (she eats dry kibble and gets bones a few days a week). I was a little shocked seeing buildup on such a young dog that eats quality food and gets bones. I’d be curious to hear experience from other small breed owners.

#16734 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

My JRT is more prone to build up than any of my other dogs has ever been(all medium/large dogs). Raw meaty bones are keeping any issues in check enough that I scrape off a little every 6 months or so, but other than the professional teeth cleaning she got when I got her, she has not had another real teeth cleaning and hasn’t needed one. She used to have it done every year before I got her. I feed chicken necks, turkey necks, or some kind of ribs every third day. I think it is an issue of their teeth not changing in size as much as they did when they were bred down so much. Their teeth don’t line up quite the way they should. This is especially noticable in brachycephalic breeds. And it’s also a problem in miniature horses(I’m NOT brushing Smokey’s teeth, nor am I feeding him RMBs).

#16748 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I bought the Ubiquinol from Mercola. I had been looking at supplements and was shocked when I went to see our TCVM vet and asked what he thought the best heart health supplement would be for my healthy Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and he recommended Ubiquinol for her. The only problem with it was that the pump bottle malfunctioned and I was only able to use it a couple of times before the pump stopped working altogether. I called customer service at Mercola and they said they were having a problem with the Ubiquinol pump bottle and wanted to get the bottle back to send to quality control at the manufacturer. Unfortunately, I have no idea what difference the supplement could’ve made long term as a result; but would definitely try it again.

I have the Mercola krill it what seems like the identical pump bottle and have never had a problem with that at all.

#16768 Report Abuse
    shelties mom
    Participant

Betsy,
    Thanks for sharing your experience about the Mercola Ubiquinol product, I was also thinking about adding it but wanted to hear what others have to say. I think I will wait, I mainly want it as a preventative supplement and for oral health. I will look at others without the pump.

#16769 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’m only on the first bottle of Mercola ubiquinol and so far the pump is fine. I also get the hibiscus tea in the pump bottle and it has been fine as well.

#75774 Report Abuse
    CHANTAL V

I called Marcola as I was highly interested in their Ubiquenol product. I was very disappointed when I found out the product comes in a plastic bottle. Even BPA free has its list of issues. Very unfortunate a great product comes in plastic.

#75779 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Hound dog mom I have a yorkie and their teeth have to be professionally clean every year or two. I brush mines teeth twice a day and give him bully sticks weekly. It has been 3 years since vet cleaned but I think he will have to go this year. I am seeing plaque on the back ones. It is so hard to brush their teeth because their mouth is soo small.I would not mind getting them cleaned every year but they have to go under anathesia and it scares me to death. I need a Xanax when I have his cleaned!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.