🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Recent Topics

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Huskymalamutepup
    Participant

My 4 months old puppy has had diarrhea for two weeks, sometimes it gets a bit firmer, other times it’s soupy, but the last few nights he had completely liquid, orange, foul smelling, explosive diarrhea. We are currently waiting for the fecal test results but those won’t be back in before next week and I’m getting worried. He seems fine otherwise, doesn’t vomit, and I haven’t noticed any blood in stool. He keeps gaining weight every week, eats and drinks just fine. He’s been on a bland diet of chicken with rice, potatoes or oatmeal, sometimes also beef. He is also quite gassy and gets hiccups a lot. The vet said we should put him back on puppy food as the bland diet isn’t nutritious enough, so he’s had some dry food the past couple of days as well. His poop is generally quite orangey and when it gets explosive, he strains to take the last few drops out and there’s a lot of mucus. Any advice would be much appreciated.

#154058 Report Abuse
    Birdie30
    Participant

My dog also had bad diarrhea and runs (she was transitioning to a new diet), and the stuff I used did help over the course of a week. I tried Olewo carrots, Honest Kitchen’s Herbal Digestive supplement and the dog version of Kaopectate…basically, it’s kaolin and pectate and there are alot of manufacturers that make a dog version of this liquid. All of these, sometimes a combination of them (in like 1/2 to 1 tbps portions) mixed together with food, helped alot.

#154201 Report Abuse
    Chipy
    Participant

Hi Kris,

So sorry to hear that you are going through this with your puppy. I encourage you to review the following articles Dr. Dobias has written on the topic of diarrhea covering a range of reasons it occurs and how to manage it;

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11015037-11-steps-to-treat-acute-or-bloody-diarrhea-naturally

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11015105-a-complete-guide-to-raising-a-puppy-naturally

He also has an amazing article that will help you raise your puppy naturally. I found it very helpful;

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11015105-a-complete-guide-to-raising-a-puppy-naturally

Wishing you and your pup all the best! 🙂

#154223 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Kris M-
    It sounds like your pup may have Coccidia or Giardia. Hopefully, both is being are being tested for on your fecal. I would continue on a bland diet using a vet tested probiotic such as Forti Flora or ProPectalin.

I’ve had to treat both Giardia and Coccidia in both cats and dogs. I can feel your pain. Hopefully, something will show up on the fecal so you’ll know how to treat. Our fecal test results are usually back the next day. Good luck!

#154274 Report Abuse
    Marisa J
    Participant

I would try goat’s milk since it has tons of probiotics in it and helps rebalance the gut. It will make sure your puppy is has more good gut bacteria than bad gut bacteria. It will help with the loose stool along with hydrating your puppy as well. As far as a diet, I would try something that is complete and balanced like a dry food (without corn, wheat, soy, by-products, and grains), dehydrated (without grains), freeze dried, or raw. Ideally raw food is the best diet for dogs and kibble is the least freshest food.

#154275 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Kris did your vet have any concern regarding this…Orange Dog Poop
    It could indicate a liver issue or biliary disease, or it could just mean that your dog’s food moved too quickly through the GI tract to pick up the bile. Bile is what changes poop to the normal brown color we expect. If your dog has orange diarrhea, contact your vet.
    I have two chihuahuas’. One never has a problem with stomach issues. My other is sensitive to feeding certain foods which results in diarrhea or vomiting. I have been feeding both Freeze dried Primal and Stella Chewy’s raw coated kibble in chicken with no stomach issues ever. I see a lot of people on the Stella’s site who’s dog had various problems with other food but do very well with Stella’s. If diet is what is causing the diarrhea then maybe get a sample of Stella’s kibble and introduce VERY slowly. You can read here on their f/b page all the positive comments. https://www.facebook.com/stellaandchewys/

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Patricia A.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Patricia A.
    #154284 Report Abuse
    Rom A
    Participant

Hello, Can you feed them dog food? You supply the whole chicken with western food so it can take over the menu. So stupid. He has a problem with his intestines, so don’t give him any more stuff, or his condition will get worse.

#154285 Report Abuse
    Huskymalamutepup
    Participant

Thank you all for your help.
    He was diagnosed with salmonella and put on antibiotics so he’s fine now.

#154289 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

So glad you found the cause! Also, that it is something that you can treat and not have to deal with any type of food intolerances or life long digestive condition.

Best wishes!

#157275 Report Abuse
    Karen H
    Participant

My 9 year old labrador used to have this every month. I felt so sorry for her and I can recommend the Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Sensitive Stomach Dry Dog Food i found here https://whydopets.com/best-dry-dog-foods/loose-stools/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics