Two dogs, different foods?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Two dogs, different foods?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Cynical25

1 yr old neutered Catahoula weighs in at 68lbs. 5 cups a day (spread over 3 feedings) of Taste of the Wild is just barely maintaining the weight on this extremely active dog. I know he’s lean muscled from constantly going, but just a touch too ribby for me. Increasing the dry food just gives him gas, no more weight. Natural Balance required 6 cups/day to maintain his weight and he had looser stools (used it for 4 months before switching to Taste of Wild, due to cost.) The weight maintanance is a recent issue, presumably because his activity has increased even more after we aquired a 2nd dog.

11 month spayed Catahoula/Aussie weighs in at 38lbs. 2.75 cups a day (spread over 3 feedings) of Taste of the Wild has her at good weight, but she struggles to poop. We’ve had her barely 2 months so haven’t tried any other brands.

Coats are soft, personalities are bright, breath is fine, both drink well. Is it realistic to think I can keep both dogs on the same food? I was contemplating trying Merrick since I have a coupon, but it’s going to be a stretch for the budget with such hearty eaters. I’m not against rotating every few months, but I want to use quality dry foods. Raw isn’t in the budget.

#26122 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You can add some oil (coconut, pumpkin, or other, I have fish and Udo’s oil) to the food for added calories and also add in some Abady granular food to the one who needs to gain weight. It has around 800 calories per cup of food. If you needed to add 100 calories, that would be about 2 tablespoons.

#26172 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I have a dog that needs to gain weight but I can’t feed her any more. In addition to what Sandy suggested, look at red palm oil and ghee (clarified butter).

#27198 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Just like Cynical25, once I adopt a second dog, I would love to have him/her on the same diet as my current one (after the new one is over its puppy stage, of course). I also would like to know if it is a reasonable thing to keep 2 dogs on the same food (provided none have issues with it)?

#27204 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Aleksandra,

You can feed both dogs puppy food or an “all life stage” food. And yes both dogs can be on the same thing.

#27206 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Sandy,

Thanks so much for the response! I am excited because I don’t want to have to buy separate foods (one of my friends does). I would rather scout good deals on 5-star kibble and buy the best (usually biggest) amount for the money. I just hope my future second dog does not come with any specific dietary needs that contradict the current one’s – which may be somewhat unlikely as I try to feed grain-free exclusive, but still.

#27207 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

If it’s a large breed puppy, then it has special needs. I was assuming you’d be getting another small dog. Also, puppies (non-large breed), adults and seniors can also eat the same foods (unless there is a medical issue). My 14 yr old eats the same food as the rest of the gang (which includes all life stage food).

#27209 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Sandy,

We may be wanting to adopt a larger dog, and I was planning on keeping him/her on large breed puppy food for 12-18 months, until she is full-grown. I would then introduce all-life-stage food that the large dog can share with the small one. Then I would just feed them adult food or continue with all-life-stage every now and again.

Do you think large and small dogs can share the same food once they are both adults?

#27210 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

It’s only the large breed puppy that has special calcium/phosphorus requirements so actually your adult dog can eat the large breed pup’s food.

/forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/page/36/

Here is the large breed puppy food document:

https://docs.google.com/a/dogfoodadvisor.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFTXhUdi1KazFzSUk/edit?usp=sharing

#27228 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

We almost always have three dogs and usually have two dogs on one diet, the third on another. Right now, we have three eating different foods.

#27235 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Sandy,

Thanks for the links and the info! I will make sure to read through those and refresh myself on them right before we get the dog as well!

Marie,

Thank you as well! I am sure it sometimes happens that different dogs like different foods. Is that why all 3 eat 3 different diets?

#27254 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

For me, it’s not who likes what. I’ve had lots of dogs, usually three at a time. I’ve never had a dog not like a food except one dog, years ago, who wouldn’t eat a NV medallion. They eat any kibble, canned, raw and dehydrated in their bowl. All meds /supplements go in the food as well and all gets eaten. I personally think some people cause their dogs to be picky but that’s another topic.

Anyway, I have one dog with allergies, another with no teeth and the last can eat anything.

#27265 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I have 3 dogs and they all eat the same things at the same time (different kibbles, canned, and raw), and the fosters all eat the same thing (3 or 4 different kibbles and various canned foods). The 14 yr old eats the same things as the younger ones, even puppy food.

#27295 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I have 3 dogs and one has food intolerances to a few things, one has food intolerances to a couple things that the first dog also can’t have, and one that can eat anything. I try to only buy foods that the first can eat, then I know the others will be fine with it too. But occassionally I’ll try something new that it turns out Number 1 can’t handle, so the others eat it til it’s gone.

#27303 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Marie, Sandy, and Patty – thank you all for the info and your experiences!

I feel prepared for that future second dog one day. 🙂

#27310 Report Abuse
    Molzy

When we adopted our second dog, we budgeted for using the same food as our other one (he has been on various high quality, grain free foods since we adopted him). Surprise surprise, the new dog needs canned food, which tripled my monthly dog food budget!

Luckily I’ve been able to redo my budget, and its still easier and cheaper than being at the vet every week with a vomiting dog! But it does make things harder, having to store more food in addition to preparing canned food (switching to dehydrated and raw soon). I am guessing it may have been why he was given to the shelter, though we were told they just didn’t have time for him.

#27324 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Molzy,

I see, yeah, I just hope my future second dog doesn’t have any “special special” (read “expensive”) needs, BUT, that is not to say I wouldn’t love it and take care for it.

But that is still in the future, I was just wondering if it has worked with some people, and how, and why it didn’t work out for others, so thanks for sharing! 🙂

#27339 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Molzy, I understand what you said, LOL. We adopted a senior sheltie in January, she came to us with no teeth. No big deal, we fed The Honest Kitchen, dehydrated so no issue, right? Wrong! Turns out she constipates easily & lost weight so we had to buy a different THK product than what we have here and the canned food we already had….no can do, wrong calories/fat/fiber ratios. We just roll with it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.