🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DieselJunki

So I am begining to dabble a bit in raw food. I got a couple frozen turkey necks today. I am just wondering if I should cut them in half before feeding them to my 13 week old American Bull Dog?. Or even cut them into smaller pieces?

Should I thaw them first or just feed them frozen?

I would imagine I should keep him on some tile floor so if it gets messy (which I’m sure it will) I can just mop it up.

This will be his first time eating raw as well as my first time feeding it.

#14100 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi DieselJunki –

Glad to hear you plan on experimenting with raw. 🙂

The thing with RMBs is you want them to be big enough that the dog has to chew them and can’t swallow them. If you cut the bone into small pieces your dog will likely just swallow them, this would eliminate the dental benefits and could also pose a choking hazard or potentially cause an intestinal blockage. I have mistakenly fed my dogs RMBs that were too small (chicken necks) and they just swallowed them whole – nothing happened, the chance of your dog choking or getting an intestinal blockage is minimal but it’s still there so you should try to minimize it by feeding appropriate RMBs. I’m not sure how big he is exactly, you may be able to cut the neck in half if he can’t handle the whole thing. Just watch him closely – once you get a feel for his chewing style you’ll know what size RMBs he can and can’t have and you won’t have to stress.

#14150 Report Abuse
    DieselJunki

They are fairly long. I think I’ll try cutting them in half and see. Thanks HDM. I don’t know what this site would do without you! Haha.

Do you feed them frozen or thawed?

#14175 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I generally thaw them, but if I forget to pull them out of the freezer I’ll feed them frozen or half frozen. It doesn’t really matter. If they’re frozen they’ll last longer.

#14258 Report Abuse
    DieselJunki

He loved it! Cutting them in half is just the right size. I started him off in the bathroom as it has tile floor and put an old towel down and tried to get him to stay on it but that didn’t really work so he got it while he was in his crate on a towel to keep from getting it everywhere. I had left it frozen so it would last longer (Yay, 30 minutes of peace! lol). It really wasn’t as messy as I thought it was going to be but the fact of him dragging a raw piece of meat on the floor everywhere just erked me a little.

I was thinking of giving him a half a turkey neck once or twice a week.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.