šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bailey5244

Bailey has had a history of high PH and uti’s. Thankfully no stones. He has been on CD for over a year. It brought down his PH to the norm of 6.5 (from 8) but I’m wondering if there is something else I can start him on that’s a better food. Any experience out there with this?

#65833 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

My yorkies PH was 8 last year and he had sturvite crystals. I switched him to all canned with below average carbs and his PH this year was5.5 which was a little to acidity for me but it had dropped that much. I would definitely get him off the CD because that should just be short term not a year. It is not a very good food in my opinion. Maybe someone on hear that knows a lot more than I do can give u suggestions. I just know what worked for me.

#65881 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Bailey5244-

I have a cat with struvite crystals as well. I am also currently feeding Hill’s C/D. It is an OK food to feed long term, unlike the Hill’s S/D. But you are right, the ingredients do not look great. Are you feeding canned or dry? One of the most important things that I am learning about crystals and possible stones is that moisture is of great importance. It is best to try to feed as much canned as possible and try to get them to drink and pee often also. Another thing that I’m reading is that stress can be a factor with forming the crystals. My cat is on an anti-anxiety pill that seems to help a lot too. I think the addition of two crazy dogs was very hard on him.

In addition to the C/D, there are other prescription urinary tract foods that you could possibly rotate with, such as Purina, Iams and Royal Canin Rx urinary foods. I am currently adding some over the counter urinary foods that are made by Purina, Friskies and Dave’s. I am going to slowly attempt to wean him off the expensive prescription foods. But, so far they are working as his recent urinalysis showed no crystals, blood or infection. Woo Hoo! It has been about 3 months since his blockage and he is doing well.

I definitely could not recommend you doing any of these things without approval from your vet. You would need a prescription for the RC, Purina, or Iams food anyway. But, I like the fact that at least I am giving him some variety. I hardly feed any kibble to any of my cats any longer, but I do plan to transition off the vet food some time. But, like I said, in good conscience, I could never suggest you do the same. Most vets say they need to stay on it for life. But, I’m hoping if I feed mostly high quality canned, like Weezerweeks mentioned above, he will stay healthy. Good luck!

#66025 Report Abuse
    bailey5244

Thanks for all your advice weezerweeks and crazy4cats. I am going to try and give him Blue with the least protein amount as that seems to be one of the reasons he might have gotten the high ph. He was always on 5 star food but I think in his case, he needs a little less protein. Will welcome any other advice.

#66027 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi-
    I’m not sure that low protein controls pH. Maybe others can chime in.

#66044 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

No low protein has nothing to do with PH. when the ph is high it is to alkalinity and when it’s low it’s too acidity. So in my opinion it’s the ingredients in the food. I know that when my yorkies ph was 8 his diet was too high in carbs. He was on longevity by bb and it was high in carbs.He was also on kibble and when I switched to canned with low carbs his ph dropped. I personally would never use anything by Blue Buffalo again. To many people have had too much trouble with this brand. Good luck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.