Trolls

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Case

Is there a way to “ignore” a member?

Is there a way to report inappropriate posts?

Is ignoring trolls the only method that regular forum members have of dealing with them?

#43445 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Case –

Unfortunately, there is no way to “ignore” a member that I’m aware of. That’s a feature I wish Disqus and WordPress would both add on.

I can’t see what you see when you post, but I would assume that there is a spot to flag the post (like there is on the review section)? Maybe someone else can answer. But if not you can send us a message through member support alerting us to any potential trolls.

Yes – please ignore anyone you suspect is a troll. Responding to them just gives them the attention they’re looking for and encourages their behavior.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #43447 Report Abuse
    Case

Not saying that it isn’t there, but I don’t see anywhere to flag a post in the forums.

Where is member support?

#43449 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi HDM,

Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to flag a post on the forum side of the site.

#43453 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Case –

If you’re on the Editor’s Choice forums you can access member’s support on the FAQ page. If you’re a non-Editor’s Choice member there’s a “contact us” link at the bottom of the page.

#43454 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Betsy –

Thanks. I couldn’t remember if there was a spot to flag posts or not, I was thinking there was. Seems like there should be.

#43456 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Can you tell me what a troll is? I’m brand new to forums.

#43457 Report Abuse
    Case
    #43459 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Thank you Case!

#79339 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Is there a moderator? Why are the regulars allowed to pick fights with anyone that doesn’t agree with them?
    Nothing new, I guess. All kinds of false information on the internet….but if one can’t offer their opinion without being attacked, what’s the point?
    I see all kinds of nonsense posted, I never say a word.

#79340 Report Abuse

Hi Red,

There is always a moderator here. However, “always” does not mean “all the time” (every minute).

Are you flagging inappropriate comments to alert the moderators?

This is a site where we welcome all kinds of open discussion. However, many regulars and guests believe it is their right to be rude. And to judge and brow-beat other well-meaning participants.

I see it all the time. And many times it is our “regulars” who make the most inappropriate remarks. I’m sure they believe they are actually “helping” the guest.

And it sickens Sandy and me every time we see this — as we observed many times over this past few weeks.

However, please keep in mind that being a moderator of ANY website can be a challenging job.

Every moderator walks a thin line between allowing every member of the community the freedom to openly express his/her opinion versus the invasive habit of micro-managing discussions.

Even worse, on a website where products are reviewed (as they are here), we’re also faced with appearing to be biased — by deleting certain posts about specific dog foods while allowing comments on competing products to remain.

Something we’ll NEVER do.

Unfortunately, there’s currently no way to flag comments in our Forums. This is because the software that enables these Forums does not provide a means for doing this effectively.

However, on the Disqus commenting areas located beneath every article and review on this site, users have the ability to “flag” a comment for moderation.

In any case, we’ll never remove comments simply because they are inaccurate or because we disagree with their content.

Thanks for your understanding and for being a member.

#79342 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

@ Mike
    Thanks for your response. I will continue to participate, but will be a little more cautious with my responses. The regulars jump all over me when I recommend The SkeptVet as a source of information, and yet, they tend to post links to certain homeopathic vets over and over again! I have to ignore the medical advice that is given a lot of the time, scary stuff (imo). I just try not to read it, I know that most people have the good sense to consult a veterinarian for anything serious 🙂

#79364 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Red- glad someone finally stood up and said this.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Trolls’ is closed to new replies.