🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Barbara

Has anyone heard about Trifexis the chewable tablet that is supposed to kill fleas and prevent heartworm disease killing dogs?? I was at the dog park this morning and some people were talking about that but I can’t find any information. Just wanted to get a warning out there if it is true….

#48562 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve been hearing that. Whether or not that it is true and can be connected to dogs’ deaths is still open. But it is a scary thought…

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/owners-blame-700-dog-deaths-trifexis/nb5B4/

#48568 Report Abuse
    Barbara

Thank you pugmomsandy for the reply and the informative link… I saw that Snopes stated it was “undetermned”. I don’t plan on using any flea and tick killer that is ingested ever… I have used Frontline plus (seasonally and now only every 45 days) and heartgard plus without any issues for over 20+ years. My golden retriever Maya passed away from stomach cancer at almost 16 yrs of age 7 years ago I still miss her :(… My border collie mix is 13 1/2 and in better shape than most dogs that are less than 1/2 his age. Thanks to this site over the years I have improved my dog food options and went from the middle of the road now to Victor’s grain free and Kirkland Cuts in Gravy (being replaced by ND Turkey and pea stew). They are all doing well especially the older ones…!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Barbara.
    #48585 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve read enough that I wouldn’t use it.

#48589 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I am not so sure about it either – I was pretty happy with Trifexis, but it got kind of pricy, so I switched Bruno to Sentinel for heartworm and fleas. So far so good with Sentinel too.

#48602 Report Abuse
    Dori

I have come across a number of articles lately about Trifexis and the death of dogs. I’ve been using Sentinel for a number of years with absolutely no problems. Fingers crossed.

#48604 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dori, do you use Sentinel or Sentinel Spectrum? I used the regular Sentinel for 6 months and just ordered the Spectrum version (supposed to include tapeworm prevention vs the regular that doesn’t).

#48606 Report Abuse
    raevont

I’ve been using Trifexis on both of my dogs for 2 years now, with no incident. Both of my dogs are mutts and are rescue pups. Houston is a lab/dane mix and Lily is a lab/chow mix. They are healthy, around 3 years old and are 95% inside dogs. I asked my vet about the safety of the meds and he said that if I keep their regular check-ups and annual blood work, that unless something unusual happens, there is no reason to discontinue use of Trifexis.

#48610 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I used Trifexis previously for my Golden. I hated giving it to him. Each time I did, he was lethargic for a good 24 to 28 hours and would occasionally vomit the day after getting the medicine.

I still have some at home that I need to dispose of.

My plan to use Ivermectin and natural products for flea control got derailed when he had an apparent food intolerance to one of the products that I had intended to use. I’m using Sentinel now and although I’m not thrilled with it, my integrative vet recommended it and uses it herself. It “seems” safer.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by DogFoodie.
    #48626 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Naturella. As I mentioned I’ve been using Sentinel Flavor Tabs (regular Sentinel) for years and gave them the last of that kind August 1st. It is my understanding that they are fazing out the regular Sentinel and only what is in stock will be available. After that only Sentinel Spectrum will be available. I’ve actually ordered the Spectrum already. At first I was concerned about using the Sentinel Spectrum but after extensive research I realized (and queried the vets) that the tape worm preventative itself has been around for years and years. I give the girls Sentinel the first of every month without fail. As you know, living in Georgia you can never really count on a hard winter. When I lived in the northeast I only used in Summer and Fall. Here I give it year round. Last Winter I stopped cause it was so cold but then read Losul’s plight with Turbo and decided that I’m not taking any chances and have decided that I will stick with year round treatment. I’ve had a lot of dogs all my life and none ever had an issue with it. I know a lot of people have issues with HW meds but I have to air on the side of caution and do what I think will be best for my girls. The treatment for Heartworm is to horrifying for me to even contemplate.

#48685 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dori, I see. Yeah, I would not leave Bruno inprotected against HW regardless of where I leave, just in case. We too were on the Sentinel Flavor Tabs and Sept. 1st he will have the last of those. Come October he will be on the Spectrum so hopefully he likes them. And hope they are as effective as the Flavor Tabs. 🙂

#48688 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

One article states the milbemycin in Trifexis (Eli Lilly and Elanco) is sourced from China.

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/breaking-news/green-country-vet-refuses-to-carry-trifexis/ndpwt/

#49374 Report Abuse
    Marietta B

My mom uses Trifexis on her dog with no problems. I don’t use any chemical flea and tick medication on my dog, only natural. I have been using diatomaceous earth along with Ark Naturals Flea Flicker Tick Kicker for 2 years and my dog has never had fleas or ticks. When I was poisoning her with Frontline she had ticks all the time. As far as heart worm medication goes, I follow a map that I found on Dogs Naturally Magazines website. It shows the states that you live in and when to start and stop the medication. The temperature has to be above 57 degrees F for 14 days for it to be possible for a dog to get heart worms and if it falls below 57 F the cycle is broken and starts all over again. I will look for the article and put a link here. For the few months that I need to give heart worm meds, I give Heartguard. It does make my dog a little sick for a few days so I give it to her every 45 days. The strength of the medicine is still at 99% at 45 days.

#49376 Report Abuse
    Marietta B

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2010/08/03/why-havent-pet-owners-been-told-these-facts-about-heartworm.aspx

Here is a great article on heart worms. It also has the maps I was talking about. I try to follow this and not over medicate my dog. I have her tested for heart worms every year just to be sure.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.