Top Recommended Dry Foods

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Top Recommended Dry Foods

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth D

Hi there-looking for dry food recommendations and unless I’m not looking in the right place, I’m seeing only grain free among the top choices. My vet is steering me away from grain free because of the recent research regarding cardiac issues. Am I not looking in the right place for non-grain free top choices?

#133475 Report Abuse

InkedMarie

Hi Elizabeth,
    I don’t think there is a list of top grain inclusive foods. I’m in a Facebook group for the DCM issues. The ingredients to steer clear from are grains (though I believe some cases of diet related DCM has happened on grain inclusive) , peas, legumes, potatoes.

I currently have my dogs on Natures Logic. Only grain is millet but none of the other ingredients. Some are using Farmina Ancestral Grains. The above FB group touts foods from makers following WSAVA guidelines: Purina, Science Diet, Eukanuba/Iams and Royal Canin. It seems the favored is Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin & stomach and Pro Plan Savor.

I never thought I’d feed Purina but I may try the PPP SSS next. It’s not going to kill my dogs to eat it while they figure out exactly what’s causing this but putting them back on grain free may.

I have many friends into dogs: breeders, show people and sport people. So many of them feed Pro Plan and they have dogs who live long lives and look great.

I’ve been on DFA for a very long time. Never ever would I have thought I’d contemplate a Purina food. Never. Most of the friends I’ve made here would laugh if they read this!

#133478 Report Abuse

Jo R

No laughter here. Put my dog with constant digestive issues on Purina Pro Plan sensitive stomach salmon and rice and in less than a month, problems gone. One issue was leaking anal glands while asleep. I had tried adding fiber but just got larger, softer poops. Now with no added fiber, anal glands expressing normally, firm, small once a day poop and no gas. The transition needs to be slow as grain free vs grain inclusive changes the gut flora. The most important point is until the grain free / heart problem correlation is discovered and rectified, I can feel safe with my food choice.
    What I don’t understand about people that shout that Purina and other grain inclusive foods are bad because they have so called “fillers” is why they think field peas and other mass farmed legumes are so great. They are also sprayed with the same chemicals, are gmo and are stored in the same type of silos. Also agree, Taurinedcm.org is a great source of information.

#133479 Report Abuse

anon101

Fromm Classic Adult is our current favorite https://www.gofromm.com/fromm-family-classic-adult-dog-food

They have other grain-inclusive formulas too.

#133480 Report Abuse

Elizabeth D

I’m currently feeding two of my dogs Fromms Classic and my pup with digestive issues Wellness Complete Health Large Breed. I recently lost my lab who was on Zignature and he did really well on it. I just don’t understand why Dog Advisor doesn’t have a list of top recommended grain inclusive foods or if they’re saying that those just don’t make it to the top.
    I’m kind of interested in Victor-I’ve seen a lot about them recently and I’d love to get all three dogs on the same food if possible.

#133505 Report Abuse

InkedMarie

Elizabeth,
    Are you on Facebook? If yes,you should join that group. Fromm is a food that has had it number of DCM dogs in the group. If you don’t want to try Purina, SD, Eukanuba/Iams or RC, look for foods without grains, peas, legumes, potatoes.

#133538 Report Abuse

Elizabeth D

Thanks. I’ll look for that right now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.