šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ellie06
    Participant

I have a 6 year old papillon. I cook her meals and also give her a multivitamin. Are there any other tips you guys have on homemade dog food?

#16845 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Saying you cook her meals really doesn’t give any details. Do you cook meat and organs? How much? Do you add calcium? Do you add any super foods for trace minerals and antioxidants? What kind of multi are you giving? Do you give any sources of vit E or omega 3s?

#16870 Report Abuse
    ellie06
    Participant

Whenever I cook for her, I use one pound of ground meat, usually turkey. I also add around 1/4 cup peas, carrots, and rice. I give her 21st Century brand multivitamins. I do not give her any extra sources of vit E or omega-3’s, though. She gets two meals per day; 1/2 cup in the morning, 1/2 cup in the evening.

#16874 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That doesn’t sound like a balanced diet. Cooking for your dog is great, but you really need to make sure you are doing it right. Look for Dr. Karen Becker’s book, the title is eluding me right now. Or google homemade dog foods. Steve Brown also has a great book.

#16876 Report Abuse
    ellie06
    Participant

Ok, thanks ^.^

#16877 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Rotate the proteins and use organ meats and eggs and also rotate veggies. And as stated already use calcium and omega 3’s.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/real-food-for-healthy-dogs-and-cats-cookbook.aspx

/choosing-dog-food/karen-becker-best-worst-dog-food/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.