Therapy Dogs-where to find one?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Therapy Dogs-where to find one?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    theBCnut

This is kind of convoluted. On one of my Border Collie sites there is a woman that knows another woman that has PTSD because someone tried to murder her. She is kind of living a half life because of her level of fear. She wants a service dog, but doesn’t even know where to start. Any ideas?

#10994 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hmmm…, a therapy dog could be a huge blessing for this woman. While I don’t know from where one actually acquires a dog like this, I suppose maybe the funding is possibly the challenge. If she’s seeing a therapist, which I certainly hope she is, maybe s/he could give her some direction and possibly write a prescription for one so that insurance would help cover the cost, assuming she has insurance. Every state (I suspect anyway as mine does) probably has a Victim’s of Violent Crimes Compensation Fund; maybe she could contact them for assistance in the event she doesn’t have health coverage.

#11007 Report Abuse
    Toxed2loss
    Participant

I looked at funding and several groups that offer service dogs of different kinds. She should check the net for local groups. The waiting lists are so long, its hard to get a service or therapy dog from the established organizations. There are way more deserving recipients than there are dogs. Vets and certain ‘mainstream recognized groups’ get preference. If you fall outside those catagories, it gets harder. However, in most states, you can train your own. Texas being the biggest exception. I recommend Stewart Nordensson’s “Teamwork” & “Teamwork II” (ISBN 9780965621618) As the best ‘train your own books’ out there. Then she should get a RX for one from her MD, and a letter. The dog can not be protection trained. “Teamwork” gives the basic training skills for those who aren’t proficient already. “Teamwork II” is specifically for service dogs. Therapy dogs are service dogs and should be trained to pass all the standard service dog skills tests, regardless of wether you take them through a program or not. If your dog’s in public, it needs to be under control, especially if you need it. While they can’t deny service dogs entry, they can ask you and an ill behaved or disruptive dog, even if its supposed to be a service or therapy dog to leave. The other thing you can do is hire a trainer. They can either do it for you or coach you. Often there are local groups working on training there own together. Most also work to get their CGC. 🙂

You can use any dog with the appropriate temperament as a therapy dog, providing he/she is trained. So you can train the one you have or adopt a suitiable dog from a pound, or purchase one for training. There are lots of options. Stewart’s books will really help her to solve her problems outside the box. 🙂

#11011 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Thanks Toxed

I passed on the info. I really hope it helps this lady.

#11030 Report Abuse
    Toxed2loss
    Participant

Your welcome Patty! 😉

#11069 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Carol Lea Benjamin just popped in on my BC forum and volunteered to help her train her own serice dog!! That was really nice.

#11078 Report Abuse
    sophia
    Participant

There are also rescues for “retired” service dogs. This would subside a waiting list, and depending on her level of PTSD a retired service dog may benefit her just as much. These dogs aren’t necessarily old, the guidelines for certain service dogs are so strict they can be retired for a variety of reasons. Don’t know if that will be helpful for her, but just a thought.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.