🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    michael s

we are about to bring our GSD puppy home next week. The breeder has the pups on TotW puppy formula, but I’m hesitant to continue without knowing the calcium content which TotW doesn’t publish. Neither could I find it in Hound Dog Mom’s large breed puppy food calcium document. Does anyone know?

TIA 🙂

#78110 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Michael- Thank you for being a responsible LBP owner. As far as I know TotW is NOT formulated appropriately for a large breed. What you can do however to confirm that, is email them as ask for their as fed levels of calcium and phosphorus and put it into this calculator

/best-dog-foods/best-large-breed-puppy-food/

If it comes in at a ratio of 1.5:1 or higher it is not safe.

Two foods I love that I will recommend to you that ARE formulated correctly for a LBP are Fromm Gold LBP and Precise Holistic Complete Large/Giant Breed Puppy.

#78121 Report Abuse
    michael s

Thanks Pitlove … I had contacted TotW and they, without providing their analysis, claimed their puppy foods were suitable for LB pups. I let them know I wouldn’t be continuing with TotW without knowing Ca/P. It’s too bad–they are well known for sourcing their ingredients.

I’ll probably switch to Orijen Large Puppy. Although expensive per bag, it is nutrient dense.

#78124 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

very smart move to avoid TotW if they wouldn’t out right give you the as fed levels. they should have no problem providing that information if what they say is true.

orijen puppy large is a good choice as well since they finally re formulated the food to be appropriate for LBPs. it was not some years ago. honestly better to avoid taste of the wild anyway because it’s manufactured by Diamond.

#78131 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

i went to go try to contact them myself and see if I’d get an answer and they want my address and phone number and all this info. No thanks…

#78282 Report Abuse
    michael s

I finally heard back from TotW …

Formulation Calcium Phosphorous
    High Prairie Puppy 1.4% 1.0%
    Pacific Stream Puppy 1.3% 1.0%

for which I calculate Ca/1000cal to be 3.3 & 3.6 respectively. TotW suggested feeding guidelines are sure high however … for a 4mo/40lb GSD pup it is 5+ cups/day! I think I’ll stay with Orijen Large Puppy for which it would be only 3 cups/day.

Cheers 🙂

#78303 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Well, it’s still good information to have that those 2 are actually ok for large breeds. Though I would never recommend them over my other favorite LBP foods.

Best of luck with Orijen! It’s an excellent food.

#80073 Report Abuse
    Jenn H

Despite the fact that TOTW is now being copacked by Diamond I was this close to putting them back in the rotation for my GSD. There’s so few appropriate LBP choices. Even when they say they are for LBPs. Since not having heard any recent bad news about them I was going to contact for calcium amounts.
    Thanks for doing the leg work & sharing.
    I’m probably going to end up biting the bullet and spending the big bucks on Orijen or Acana also. It’s only for a couple months. Then I’ll switch to something else.

#81137 Report Abuse
    Sunny-Saje
    Participant

I am in a very different situation with ToW. Where I am living overseas now it is, when I can get it, the best dog food based on DFA reviews. I have an unusual breed not seen much in the US. He is a Blue Picardy Spaniel. The other choice of dog food, sold here without prescription is, Hills Science Diet Active Adult. My dog is 3 years old. I supplement his dog food with vegetables and prepare a stew from a book a friend gave me, The Whole Pet Diet (Andi Brown).

My concerns about US dog foods sold here, is are they the same formula as that sold in the States. I have not yet written to ToW, because until yesterday, I hadn’t seen their product for months. I bought 3 30lb. bags (Wetlands, Sierra, Pacific-only one bag of each was all that was available.) I wanted to check here first about that issue and also, a combining issue.

I try as much as possible to not radically switch between dog food brands, gradually introducing the new one in increasing proportions. I have two huge containers to store the food in so it doesn’t become infested with bugs or any effects from exposure to air. So now, I am wondering, to ease in storage, is there any reason why I can’t mix all three varieties of ToW as I begin transitioning away from HSD? The ingredient lists after the flavoring differences, are basically the same.

Finally, regarding the food I use to supplement, vegies and the chicken stew, are there other ingredients or other recipes I should add in to balance the ToW?

Thanks for any input!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.