šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I hate to keep bothering ya’ll but I have received more help here than any place I’ve been. Y yorkies as some of you know has been pretty sick, after he was paralyzied for 6 houre in lower extremities, having loose stools I took him back to the ve he thinks the paralysis was a seizure so did blood work t4 came back .05 and in april it was 2.8 so he decides to put him on soloxine. I felt like the sickness is what caused it to drop because just 6 months ago it was 2.8. I felt like he should have done a thyroid panel and sent it to michigan to make sure he is hypo.Pattyvaughn and hdm don’t ya’ll have vet experience. what do you think. He is going to retest his t4 in 6 weeks but I don’t like medicine unless its neede what would you do?

#26600 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

My vet also said the pepto bismol tablet I gave him 9 hours before the seizure could have caused the seizure. ever heard of that?

#26602 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You can check into sending his blood work for a full panel to Dr Jean Dodds – thyroid expert!

#26614 Report Abuse

Personally I wouldn’t do anything until a full thyroid panel was run but that is me. Anything can make a dogs sseizure if he is alletgic to it. I have never had a dog paralysed for an extended time framd either. My epileptic would get stiff legged which clearted up ss soon as she was done with the seizure.

#26619 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would also want a full thyroid panel done. TSH levels are a big part of the story when it comes to thyroid problems. The full panel gives you a better idea about what is really happening. Hypothyroidism can cause many if not all of the things you are seeing with her, but is she hypothyroid because she can’t produce enough or because she isn’t producing the hormone that tells her thyroid to produce or because there is something missing nutritionally or something else. Simply replacing the thyroid hormone may treat the symptoms, but it isn’t necessarily the only thing that should be done, and it may be that something else altogether is what is needed.

#26639 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I am going to request the thyroid panel. He has had 3 0.1 tablets of soloxine tablets.he’s had 1/2 tablet for 3 days. How long should I wait for blood work? It shouldn’t take long for that amount to be out of his system. Should it?

#26643 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Actually, according to my endocrinologist, it may take up to 3 months for blood levels to get back to what they would normally be. You are probably better off just giving the thyroid pills for 3 months, then doing the panel to see where you are at, or doing it now with that short treatment period in mind, knowing that whatever you end up doing you will have to retest in 3 months and possibly adjust again.

#26679 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Patty,

I wonder if that would be true with just a short dosing period. If a “normal” dog is supplemented than feedback mechanisms would shut down natural production and the gland would atrophy. This would take time then to recover. With just a few doses I don’t think it would take as long.

If the initial testing was really recent the lab may still have the original sample as they “bank” samples in case the Dr. wants to add additional tests.

#26684 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I know that when I forget my pill one single time, he will always change the date on my bloodwork for 3 months after that date. And if he has to adjust my dose in any way, he insists on waiting a full 3 months for a retest. Even a dose or 2 would affect TSH, and it is one of the ones to consider when trying to figure out the whole picture. I really don’t know how a dog’s faster metabolism would affect the length of time. That’s not something that I even had to deal with in animals, just myself. And checking to see if they still have the blood sample is brilliant.

#26687 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

That is really interesting Patty!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.