🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dowsky

Is it good to switch flavors within brands to balance out the nutrition values and because our furry friends don’t want to eat the same thing day in and day out. Makes sense to me but was wondering what others thought.
    Thanx!

#10943 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I think it’s a good idea if only so you know what proteins your dog can eat without a problem. We never know when our usual dog food can’t be found.

#10947 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I think its more healthy for a dog to be used to switching foods and to get a variety of different nutrients.

#10974 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

Dowsky- Yes! I think it’s a great idea to rotate thru different flavors within a brand. If they all have different protein sources, and are not too similar. I like to rotate using totally different brands as well. 🙂

#11336 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Do you think it’s a good idea to feed one food in the morning and a different one in the afternoon? Such as, two different brands of kibble? Or better to feed the same both meals and then rotate to new after a few months?

#11337 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi crazy4cats –

I would rotate to a new flavor every month or so rather than feeding one type in the morning and one type in the evening for a couple reasons. The first being, if you’re feeding one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. your dog, despite the fact that’s it’s getting variety, is getting exposed to the same ingredients every day. Many believe that continuous exposure to the same ingredients can result in allergies. So, for example, if you pick out a lamb based kibble from band x and a chicken based kibble from brand y and feed brand x in the a.m. and brand y in the p.m., your dog is getting chicken and lamb every day. If, instead, you feed brand x for a month and then switch to brand y the next month, your dog will get month long breaks from certain ingredients and not be exposed daily. The second reason, kibble should be consumed as quick as possible after opening the bag. The longer the bag is open the more likely fats are to go rancid, ingredients are to oxidize, etc. So I wouldn’t recommend having two bags open at once, I’d have one open and use it up because if you have two bags open it will take twice as long to get through each bag. Hope that helps answer your question!

#11338 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

You are right, they would still be eating basically same thing every day still. As for having two bags open at same time, I have two 80 lb dogs. They get through them pretty quick! Thanks for your advise. I’m probably trying too hard to do better with these two than our dog that passed from cancer last year.

#11347 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I always have 2 bags of kibble open. Sometimes they get just kibble. Sometimes they get kibble with various canned food. Sometimes kibble and raw. Or just raw or just freeze dried. No particular pattern. Just random.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.