šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Diane J

Help. I need concrete information from someone experienced with switching 8 week old kibble-weaned puppies to raw feeding successfully.

I’m an experienced raw feeder, having fed 7 dogs raw over the past 16 years, but I’ve only switched adult rescues to raw feeding. On Sunday, my husband and I bought a purebred GSD puppy and on Monday we switched him to raw following my choices of all of the recommendations for doing so I’d read, some of which were very contradictory of each other.

He has not done well with chewing up the bones. I initially tried a chicken back cut into small pieces and mashing the bones with a meat tenderizer a little to attempt to soften them. Then I switched to chicken necks, but he swallowed some of those whole, and does that a bit with smaller pieces of it too, after minimal chewing.

He had diarrhea followed by constipation and developing a temporary anorexia. He’s been eating softer cooked food today, but didn’t eat much when I tried again with raw. My husband and I are lost and confused and need help from someone experienced in switching 8 week old kibble-weaned puppies to raw food.

Thank you in advance,
    ~Diane

#142228 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I hope these articles and the comments help someone even if the original poster is not receptive to them.
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=raw

#142229 Report Abuse
    Diane J

Thank you, but no thank you, that wasn’t the type of answer I need right now. Btw, those food recalls are on man-made kibble-type raw foods, not actual raw feeding. There’s so much science to prove that raw feeding on the BARF/prey diet model is the best for our pets that this is a scandalously non-helpful response to a question like mine. Keep your non-raw feeding bias off of a raw feeding thread please.

#142230 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Check out flynnaceky on Instagram. She is a vet tech who feeds her shepherds balanced homemade raw. She raised both of them from small pups on it. She also has a raw feeding page flynnandace.eats on Instagram. She isnā€™t great at responding sometimes but maybe sheā€™ll respond if u comment or dm her.

#142231 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Insta*
    Thatā€™s the stars idk why theyā€™re blurred out.

#142233 Report Abuse
    Diane J

Thank you, but I deleted my IG account so that doesn’t help me much either. I’m also no longer on FB. But I appreciate it, maybe I can find her online too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.