šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kurt F

Hey there!

How can I tell if switching dog food will be good for my 75 pound lab/golden? Black Gold was our choice (average rating here), but the kind we used became unavailable. We used another kind from Black Gold, but it’s giving him the runs big time!

How do I know if I switch it will be good for him? How long does it take until he becomes used to the new food?

#107252 Report Abuse
    John L

Generally when switching you need to do so gradually to prevent or minimize exactly what you are seeing now. I’d boil some write rice and chicken and start feeding half the normal amount of the new food and half chicken and rice until his stomach settles. You may want to go all chicken and rice for a day or two and start adding in the new food gradually, also an option depending on how lose the stools are. You may find the new food he simply won’t tolderate tho gh so be prepared for that. In that case you want to look for what is different between the new and old food. Maybe the new food has an ingredient that doesn’t agree with him, or perhaps the new food has more protein. Either of these can cause that symptom. Keep an eye on how he is responding. The stools and his appetite will tell you if you are on the right track. With loose stools be careful of dehydration. Make sure he has plenty of fresh water. Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.