🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

My yorkie is having pain jumping up and down. He holds his head down and is in pain. His back x-ray showed nothing. My vet put him on metacam. It is working but I hate medicine but I don’t want him in pain. Does anyone know of a safe supplement for pain. He’s on joint supplement and fish oil. Would Tumeric help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

#112161 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Don’t allow him to step up and down, buy doggie steps for every couch and bed that he goes to. Google “doggie steps” to see the different styles.
    Don’t let the dog jump in and out of the car, pick him up. It may take a couple of weeks but you will see a difference in his gait and posture.

Any effective medication has possible side effects. The risks versus benefits have to be weighed. Usually the benefit of pain relief is well worth it.
    Supplements are not medication and will have no effect on pain. Not all supplements are benign and also can have possible ill effects.
    Emergency room visits are way up due to humans taking supplements and having adverse effects, some quite serious. Supplements are not FDA approved, sometimes the ingredients or dosage amounts are not accurate.
    That being said, some supplements may have benefits, but one has to be very cautious.
    Also, some supplements may interact and interfere with the absorption of real medication.
    Best to discuss with the vet, first.

#112162 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Sounds good to me. As long as the dog is not experiencing any unpleasant side effects.
    I am not aware of any supplement that could come close.

http://www.metacamfordogs.com/ excerpt below.

Metacam©​ is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Metacam works by reducing hormones that cause pain and inflammation in the body. Metacam is used to reduce pain, inflammation and stiffness as a result of acute and chronic musculoskeletal disorders such as osteoarthritis.

For: Dogs (over the age of 6 months)

Benefits:
    Effectively treats pain and inflammation for up to 24 hours
    Gives your dog more mobility
    Comes with a graduated syringe, with weight measurements, that easily and accurately dispenses the correct amount of oral suspension
    Can be administered directly into your dog’s mouth, or mixed in your dog’s food

#112166 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Hi weezerweeks –
    I have 2 Chihuahua’s one will be 15 Y/O in 3 wks that weighs 5 lbs. Other one prob older than that as he was a rescue 10 yrs ago that weighs 9 lbs. I saw they both esp my tiny one was having Arthritis pain. And I mean pain. It was horrible.

Vet put him on pain meds and like you, I always go as natural and healthy as I can for my pets. I researched and researched and came across AniMed Hip Help. Every site I looked at for this product had GREAT reviews. I found it at my feed store for a good size bottle for may $10. I emailed company w/ questions and within minutes got a replay.
    I use nothing from China or any ingred that can hurt them.
    It’s a power that looks and smells like a vanilla protein shake. Product will last a long time.

I can’t even tell you how much it helped them! My tiny one was holding head down, spine curved and walking with a gait. Also take a look at DR. Judy Morgan’s web site.
    She’s all for natural healthy ways to care for pets and sales products.

And I agree with anon about the jumping on and off. That makes a world of difference if he’l use pet steps. I’ve read great things about Tumeric. I don’t give fish oil supplements
    but feed sardines in spring water a few days a wk.

Hope he feels better soon 🙂

#112167 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Hi weezerweeks –
    I have 2 Chihuahua’s one will be 15 Y/O in 3 wks that weighs 5 lbs. Other one prob older than that as he was a rescue 10 yrs ago that weighs 9 lbs. I saw they both esp my tiny one was having Arthritis pain. And I mean pain. It was horrible.

Vet put him on pain meds and like you, I always go as natural and healthy as I can for my pets. I researched and researched and came across AniMed Hip Help. Every site I looked at for this product had GREAT reviews. I found it at my feed store for a good size bottle for maybe $10. I emailed company w/ questions and within minutes got a reply.
    I use nothing from China or any ingred that can hurt them.
    It’s a power that looks and smells like a vanilla protein shake. Product will last a long time.

I can’t even tell you how much it helped them! My tiny one was holding head down, spine curved and walking with a gait. Also take a look at DR. Judy Morgan’s web site.
    She’s all for natural healthy ways to care for pets and sales products.

And I agree with anon about the jumping on and off. That makes a world of difference if he’l use pet steps. I’ve read great things about Tumeric. I don’t give fish oil supplements
    but feed sardines in spring water a few days a wk.

Hope he feels better soon 🙂

#112168 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Don’t know how to posted twice. Sorry

#112169 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

I forgot to mention I see a lot of ppl use T- Relief for their pets pain. Physicians often
    recommend T – Relief as a safe and reliable alternative to NSAIDS.

I was going to talk to my vet about this – but found the animed and since it worked I
    don’t need anything for pain so far. You can read about it at Petmeds under pain

#112176 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Just check the ingredients on both supplements recommended in the above posts.
    If you have even a hint (just a smidge) of medical knowledge. That should be enough to discourage you from using.

#112177 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Letting her know what worked for my pets, anon. I’m sure she will look into both products before giving – if she chooses one of them and talk to her vet.

#112178 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Cathy B
    I hope so, but often this is not the case. The problem is, is that there is no scientific research to back up your claims. Glad that your dogs are doing well, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

I prefer science based veterinary medicine http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=arthritis

#112179 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Thanks anon :0)

#112181 Report Abuse
    a c

I know some people use Dasuquin with MSM for joint supplement and arthritis pain.

You can find soft doggie steps at Marshall or TJ Maxx at discounted price.

#115275 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Sorry anon but I think any medicine like metacam that can destroy liver and kidneys is not good for longer than 2 weeks. I found thesupplement from Mercola’s calledcurcumin and it helps. I think this is the ingredient in Tumeric. I take Tumeric for my arthritis and it really helps. I need suggestions for good digestive enzyme. Thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.