suncured alfalfa safe???

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum suncured alfalfa safe???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Patricia A
    Participant

I am switching from Fromm grain free kibble to Stella n Chewy’s raw coated. My 16 year old has done great on the Fromm with a topper of Vets Choice Health Extensions for a little extra protein so not switching her at her age. However my little four year old has not been eating it and I turn my back and my middle 8 year old who is a little overweight scarfs hers down, So I’m having luck with her eating the Stella’s with a topping of their freeze dried. So I was very happy with my decision since both are five star. Now I’m very worried that they both have suncured alfalfa high up on the list of ingredients. I checked primal freeze dried and it also contains suncured alfalfa though further down on list of ingredients. I’ve read negative things about suncured alfalfa in dogs diet . Anyone else with this concern . Thank you for any info.

#113037 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Alfalfa seeds contain a toxic amino acid, L-canavanine. And sprouts are known to naturally have a lot of bacteria. In tiny small dry quantities, it’s okay. However, make sure it’s listed in the second half of ingredients. Stop feeding if you see any abnormal side effects.

#113038 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Thank you for info. I am truly confused as to why Dog Food Advisor has Stella Chewy’s a five star kibble. It’s listed in top half of ingredients. Also found a list of amount of ASH in the food which is VERY high.
    The Dog food advisor has this food on his 2018 personal selection list. Now I don’t know what to believe.
    Ash (%)
    Stella’s Super Beef, FR
    Stella’s Super Beef, FD
    Chewy’s Chicken, FR
    Chewy’s Chicken, FD
    Duck Duck Goose, FR
    Duck Duck Goose, FD
    Dandy Lamb, FR
    Dandy Lamb, FD
    Surf ‘N Turf, FR
    Surf ‘N Turf, FD
    Simply Venison, FR
    Simply Venison, FD
    Absolutely Rabbit, FR
    Absolutely Rabbit, FD
    Phenomenal Pheasant, FR
    Phenomenal Pheasant, FD

FD = Freeze Dried
    FR = Frozen Raw

#113053 Report Abuse

Patricia,

Since you asked the same question in 2 different places, please visit my response to your query by clicking this link.

Hope this helps.

#113054 Report Abuse

I wouldn’t worry too much about alfalfa. At amounts used in pet food, it’s not likely to be toxic.

Alfalfa is only marked as controversial in our reviews because like all plant-based ingredients, it is not considered a substitute for quality animal protein (meat).

Also, kibble is produced at very high temperatures. So unlike mold toxins (chemical poisons), bacteria and other pathogens are not likely to be an issue.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.