🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wifey2aaron

Hi all! I’m the proud owner of two furbabies: a 1 1/2 y/o chihuahua and a 8 w/o lab/Norwegian mix. We’re interested in giving our dogs homemade food, but I’m concerned about which suppliments to use. Our main food recipes I know will include ground meat, rice, veggies and crushed whole eggs. What suppliments to you recommend we add to their daily diet? Thanks in advance for any advice! 😀

#30401 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

You might want to look into the See Spot Live Longer dinner mixes. I don’t think you’d have to add rice or veggies if you use that. There is alot of information on the site and Steve Brown’s book “See Spot Live Longer” is excellent.

I’m sure someone else will post their advice and maybe give you a few more options…

#30413 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

DinOvite is a supplement that only needs ground meat, whole eggs, and fish oil added to it. You can also add rice if you want to.

You can get Steve Brown’s book “Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet” for help on how the balance a dogs diet. There is also Dr Karen Becker’s book “Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats.”

#45365 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Everyone-
    This time of year, I feel like I’m giving my dog a scoop of this and that. I’m thinking about combing them in a sealed tub to make feeding easier. The supps that I’m considering is the garlic granules, DE and Perfect Form. I’d mix the right percentages together in a tub and only have to scoop from one container when feeding.
    Does anyone see any issues with this method?

#45367 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey C4c:
    I can’t comment on your idea because I never mixed supplements like that for my dogs and I totally understand the need for simplicity.

When I used to board my horses I had to make adding supplements to my horses meals very simple, or they would not have gotten them. I used to mix daily supplements in small plastic bags so all the person had to do was dump the bag. I doubt the person feeding even took the time to mix it into their feed, even though I hung a mixing spoon next to their stall doors. lol

#45372 Report Abuse
    Anita L

C4C:
    I totally understand what you mean. It would be easier.
    I’ve never done it myself, but my thought would be……even though it’s all mixed together, are you guaranteed to get the right “mix” (proportions) each time you get a “scoop?”

#45375 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yeah, I thought about that too. I’d have to mix it really well and make sure it stays mixed, wouldn’t I?

#83139 Report Abuse
    Carrie P

Fido Active Supplement is very effective. You should try it and this is well proven.

#83152 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Carrie P: please stop spamming the forum.

#86038 Report Abuse
    alexis w

check out Nupro All Natural Dog Food Supplement, its what I give my 8 week old Australian Shepherd/Boston Terrier/Chihuahua/Pomeranian mix. I feed her homemade food and the supplement has everything needed to make sure her diet is well rounded and she gets all of her nutrients, also it is very well priced and has been around for quite some time, since 1989. Here is the link to it as well as a link to my blog with some dog food recipe ideas for you to check out: http://www.nuprosupplements.com/nupro-dog-supplement.html
    http://www.calliefoodrecipes.wordpress.com

#86091 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

Ditch the rice dogs don’t need carbohydrates.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.