🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Robert P

Recently adopted a Mom Chihuahua and her baby boy. They eat together. Been feeding them Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Chicken and Sweet Potato that was recommended by my Vet and the Shelter I adopted them from. Your reviews are not that great on this food. Any recommendations of a food that would be good for both ages, or do you have any thoughts on the food I am feeding them.

#40877 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Why are you feeding them a limited ingredient diet? It’s actually sweet potato & chicken, which is probably why it’s not highly rated: it has more potato than chicken. If you tell us why, we can help.

#40881 Report Abuse
    Robert P

This food was what the shelter we adopted them from recommended, and when we brought them in for their initial check at my Vets, he said that this was a good food as well. I felt the recommendation was adequate until I stumbled on the DogFoodAdvisor site last evening and all of a sudden it seems I am not doing good for them. Your advise is welcomed.

#40885 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You can try feeding them a regular food. There are quite a few that come in small bites – Amicus, Nature’s Logic, Nutrisource small/med breed puppy, Nature’s Select High-Pro, Simply Nourish Small Breed, Wellness Toy Breed and of course several other brands. I would look for something moderate in protein to start since they are eating a low protein food currently. A big switch might upset their tummies. And the mom and pup and eat the same food rated for “all life stages” or “growth/puppies”.

#40913 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Robert: limited ingredient diets are usually used for dogs with allergy type of issues. If your dogs don’t have them, listen to Sandy. Not talking bad about your vet but they get little training in nutrition in vet school. I listen about nutrition from my holistic vet, not the other vets I use.

#40915 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Robert,

First, how awesome you adopted them together! They must be thrilled to have stayed together.

I have to say, I agree with Marie and Sandy. I’m not a fan of Natural Balance. For those who need it as a last resort due to intolerance allergy issues, it’s a different matter. The product is owned by Dell Monte. They’ve been know to have some QC issues; for example, some limited ingredient product have been found to have proteins other than those listed. Not good if you’re feeding a dog with food allergies.

Since you’re not aware of any intolerance issues, you have lots of great choices. In addition to those Sandy mentioned, I’d also add that Canine Caviar has tiny kibble. And, Wellness, is a great product, made in-house at WellPet, and they have lots of both grain inclusive and grain free options for toy and small breed dogs.

#40918 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Welcome, Robert!

Another food I know of and feed mixed into my dog’s rotation is Victor Grain Free – the kibble is tiny, the nutritional profile is pretty dang good, and my Bruno loves all flavors except for the Yukon Salmon, but he still eats it when it’s mixed in. So just wanted to give you another option for mother and son to try! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.