Substitute for Hill's W/D

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Substitute for Hill's W/D

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    drwydd
    Participant

My two 9-year-old male Corgis were having loose stools, and our vet suggested Hills W/D, which immediately corrected the problem. But now I’m worried about the preponderance of grain vs. meat, as well as the other reasons for bad Hills reviews. What alternatives can anyone suggest? I feed my younger Corgi girl Wellness Super5, but the ‘boys’ got the loose stools after eating it for years…

#16144 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

W/D is a fiber food so look for weight control foods that have a decent amount of protein in them, or add fiber to a regular food.

#16146 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Nutrisca is high in fiber. I’m using it right now on some fosters. Very formed stools!

#16153 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Some of the fosters also eat Nutrisource Grain Free – Lamb or Heartland Select. Formed stools on both.

#16170 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Acana Light and Fit would be a good alternative. It’s rated 5 stars, is 60% animal
    ingredients, 35% protein, 10% fat and 8.5% fiber. Or you could just try feeding him what your other dogs are eating and adding a digestive supplement (which has probiotics and enzymes) and some supplemental fiber (psyllium, flax, pumpkin or if you’re feeding a grain-inclusive food, you could add bran).

#16173 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Some of my dogs get 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of ground psyllium with their meals. They don’t get any transition time from being at the vet’s office to being fostered at my house. It’s works great. I started using chia seed sometimes too.

#16246 Report Abuse
    drwydd
    Participant

Thanks for the helpful advice. I also re-read the review of Hill’s W/D and I noted this website:
    http://www.acerlux.com/sciencedietdiscussion.html

I’m going to mix the Hill’s with Wellness for now and talk with the vet in more depth — she’s also an aqua-therapist, and I think she’ll give me some straight poop (pun intended!)

#16265 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hey Sandy,

What’s your chia seed “dosage?”

#16268 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

looks like about 1 teaspoon.

#16288 Report Abuse
    ChristyGH
    Participant

DONT FEED YOUR PETS ANY HILLS PRODUCTS-SCIENCE DIET! I have just lost my second dog to anal cell carcinoma. I religously fed them Science Diet for over 11 years bc my Vet recommended it.
    After I lost my 2nd dog, I decided to research their food bc I thought it was weird for both of them, who were not related, to die of the same cancer. What I read about Science Diet made me sick. Why arent dog food companies regulated, how can they sell these dog foods with such ingredients? How can our Vets recommend this crap just bc they get money based on how much they sell? Has anyone else had this happen? Wished someone had of warned me…

#17622 Report Abuse
    jpminnix
    Participant

My vet recommend prescription diet c/d urinary tract health for my chihuahua because she has high ph level when he tested her urine after i was concerned because i seen bloody puss on her pee-pee pad. I read really bad reviews about hills and didn’t feel comfortable feeding it to her. I bought a case from vet and came home still feeling uncomfortable so I called 800 number on back of can. The second ingredient is beef-by products which is pink slime which is washed in ammonia. Im taking back the case to get refund. DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG HILLS. Has anyone else experienced this issue with your dog if so what have you done for this issue. Also several months ago her intestines shut down, she had surgery to revive them.

#17624 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

jpminnix,
    My vet recommended vitamin C daily and I also give d-mannose/cranberry supplement.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.