🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Patrice M

I have a 16 month old Standard Poodle (Jake). He has a ton of energy and very happy. He is the coolest dog in the world. (lol) Anyways, he has never been a big eater but he does eat. Some days he will eat 4 cups some days he wont eat at all. I have tried feeding him twice and three times a day but that didn’t seem to matter, so now I free feed him. He is 24 inches from the floor to the top of his shoulder and only weighs 39 pounds. The vet recommended Eukanuba High Performance food but I see here it is not rated very high. Can any one suggest a food to help put weight on my dog and still be a good healthy food. He also by the way has gas issues with some foods. He is eating blue buffalo puppy now and no gas (unless he eats the cat food) but we have been through several that either gave him runny stools or bad gas. I suppose if I could feed him cat food he would fatten up a bit but I’m sure that’s no good for him.

#43473 Report Abuse

Do his hip bones stick up? Ribs?

#43475 Report Abuse
    Patrice M

Yes you can feel all of them but I keep his hair on the longer side so if you were to look at him you may not see it but as soon as you pet him you can absolutely.

#43512 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

I have a 8 mos old standard poodle who is not a big eater, I am switching her from Merrick grain free dry to Orijen and she seems to really like the Orijen she is picking that out of her bowl and letting the Merrick there.

#43519 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

Orijen is a wonderful food. You can also try topping it with some canned food.

#43524 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Amy A, I tried topping with canned and she dosen’t like canned. I thought most dogs love canned, but not mine.

#43528 Report Abuse
    Patrice M

Thank You I found a store nearby that sells Orijen. I will give that a try. Do you suggest the adult or the red adult?

#43531 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

I personally like the Regional Red. My girl is not too picky but my moms super picky shih tzu ate it. So it has to be good. 🙂

#43745 Report Abuse

Patrice..if the bones are all able to be felt I am guessing your boy should be around 55lbs though you can’t go just based on height..bone structure also comes into play but 55 is probably a good start.
    I would use Abady granular. Almost 800 cals per cup he will gain. For poodles who wont gain weight I start with 1 cup dry am and pm mixed with 1/2c Abady then increase to 50 50 etc until he gaind the needed weight. I would also look out for addisons disease as some of the early signs are genrral malady as well as lack of appetite and weight issues. Standard poodles are one of the most affected breeds.

#43749 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

The Regional Red is what I am feeding.

#43823 Report Abuse
    Patrice M

Thank you all for your help. I purchased the Orijen Adult dog food on Thursday. He really doesn’t care for it but I’m hoping it grows on him. He has eaten since Thursday approx. 5 cups. Picky little boy I have.

#43927 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Also, have you checked for other problems? My boy gets picky as well, and occasionally when he decides to skip several meals, we have found a problem with him. Sometimes it’s as simple as diarrhea that a bit of fiber/probiotics help, and once we found out that he wouldn’t eat much because he had a bad tooth that was bugging him.

#44909 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

Some Spoos are naturally very lean dogs, and some are a little neurotic and have trouble gaining weight. I know that there is a supplement recipe online called Satin Balls that can help– some of my forum friends with show poodles use these before shows to put weight on their dogs. And one of my friends, her Spoo lost so much weight that the vet put him on a human antidepressant (can’t remember which one) which in dogs causes the dog to have more appetite.

My mother-in-law’s 10 year old standard has been bony his whole life– but healthy.

#44921 Report Abuse
    Case

I use this recipe for Satin Balls:

1 pound of raw ground beef
    8oz package of cream cheese
    1 jar of all-natural peanut butter
    12 egg yolks
    10oz package of wheat germ
    a cup of flaked oats that have been soaked in heavy cream

Mix ingredients. Form the mixture into balls and freeze. Thaw and feed as treats or food supplements as desired.

My dog LOVES them. I roll them into small balls and use them for treats.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.