šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    patvl246
    Participant

Our 3 year old English Mastiff (235 Pounds) has been on a raw diet all his life. We love him dearly and wouldn’t change a thing. I wonder how some of the raw feeders are doing with the expense of raw. We use Darwins, Hare Today, a local provider in NJ called Big Dog (Dehydrated Food) and we’ll buy chicken and some organ meat from our supermarket. Our guy eats 4 to 5 pounds a day, even a 4 pound daily diet is over $10 a day. How do you guys do it?? Do you supplement with canned or kibble, is the diet homemade?? HELP

#39517 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

HoundDogMom feeds her hounds completely raw and has found a way to do it economically. Her recipes are in the forum as well. I also make my own raw but have small dogs that would only eat 6 oz per day! I would definitely recommend getting a couple of used freezers so you can buy in bulk and make some homemade. The initial expense would be worth it overall. Are you part of a co-op? Check out eatwild.com. They have a list of some farms/co-ops. Also there is a yahoo group called “carnivorefeed-supplier” that you can join to find local raw food suppliers that sell in bulk. I’ve bought nearly 400 lbs before at one time which lasted me a whole year. Also join your local yahoo BARF group. They will have resources for finding raw dog foods.

#39524 Report Abuse
    patvl246
    Participant

Thank you “Pugmomsandy” for the information. I’ll try to find the sites and “HoundDogMom” recipes. Thanks again

#39540 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You’re welcome. And I forgot to say that you can also check with your local restaurant supply store. Some are open to the public. For instance, I can buy directly from Ben E. Keith and Bassham both of which supply restaurants in my area. Also let any friends who hunt know that you would like their scraps or any organ meats/bones or freezer burned items.

#39572 Report Abuse
    patvl246
    Participant

Pugmomsandy, Thanks for your help and taking the time to respond

#44264 Report Abuse
    Becca

There is a company called topqualitydogfood, they are excellent.

#44268 Report Abuse
    patvl246
    Participant

Thanks Becca, I’ll sure give it a try

#44271 Report Abuse
    patvl246
    Participant

Hey Becca, Just wanted you to know, I did some comparison price shopping and TCDF came out much better than the suppliers I’ve been using. I’m definitely going to give them a try with my next order. Thanks so much for the information. Pat

#44302 Report Abuse
    Becca

you are quite welcome. I picked up an order today and I spoke to Debbie at TQDF and they do deliver to new jersey there is also another company that is even cheaper, although a little less organized, pawfectlyraw, they are from new Hampshire, the deliver to mass, nh, Vermont, I think they even go to Pennsylvania and maybe they have added other stops to their list. the TQDF. is so awesome with quality and professionalism.

#44303 Report Abuse
    Becca

it wind up costing me less to feed raw than kibbles and canned cause you feed less and there no bloat like the risk in kibbles. plus the are meant to eat meat

#44309 Report Abuse
    patvl246
    Participant

Hi Becca, The only difference I’ve noticed is TQDF does not add bone to their food, I wonder if that is an issue with raw feeding. Also, I always have concerns about quality and sanitary handling of the food. You’ve never had any issues with TQDF?
    Thanks again for your help. Pat

#44311 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Just wanted to chime in and tell you guys about where I, and quite a few raw feeders on this site, get their food. A company called Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow. I’ve been using them for a year now and I have nothing but praise for this company. The owner, Tracy, is so helpful with any questions you have and they carry boneless meat and grinds, bone-in meat and grinds, organ meat and whole prey animals. They truly are a great company. They are in Pennsylvania and the shipping isn’t too bad. Their website is Hare-today.com.

There is also another site, very similar to Hare Today, call My Pet Carnivore. They carry a lot of similar meats and grinds. Their site is Mypetcarnivore.com

#44324 Report Abuse
    patvl246
    Participant

Hi Cyndi, I use Hare Today also, but check the pricing at topqualitydogfood.com you’ll see quite a difference. Food bill for my Mastiff is better than $350 a month, so I’m looking to save whenever possible. MyPetCarnivore shipping charges are pretty steep to New Jersey.
    Give it a try, check the prices and selection at TQDF

#44327 Report Abuse
    Becca

TQDF does sell food with bone in. I order that all the time for my gulper.

#44328 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I just looked at their site and their prices do look pretty good. They don’t tell you much about themselves or their products though. That’s what I like about Hare Today, she tells you all about her farm, where all the animals come from, where they’re raised and where they are processed. Even if I pay a little more, I’d still prefer to use Hare Today, for now anyways.

I didn’t realize, in your first post, that you had already said you buy from them.

#44329 Report Abuse
    Becca

oh sorry Pat, no I have never had an issue with sanity with TQDF. yes you need a percentage of bone they list the bone percentage of bone on many of their product. one of my dogs was getting too much bone which caused constipation so now I feed meat with no bone in the am and with bone in the pm.

#44362 Report Abuse
    patvl246
    Participant

Thanks Becca, good to know they also have food with bone.

Cyndi, I really like Hare Today, my dog loves their food and I’ve never had any problems, just hoping to save a few bucks now and then

#44365 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I use Reel Raw from Maine, google for the website. Excellent pricing & free shipping for a certain number of pounds.

#44366 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I don’t blame you at all patvl246, I’ve cut back on the variety I feed my dog, just to save a bit of money a little.

#44841 Report Abuse
    Cesar M

Please find some good food makers which provides the boneless food for dogs.

Thank you

#44846 Report Abuse
    Becca

Top Quality Dog Food sell boneless as well as with bone, don’t know what state your in they cover a lot of states

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.