soft food for senior dog

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition soft food for senior dog

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Martin C

I have an 18 year old YorkyPooh. She has no teeth. We need a quality soft food, but her stomach cannot tolerate wet food for some reason. She is eating Purina Moist and Meaty. She tolerates it ok. Wondering if there is anything similar that is better. She has some skin issues. Thanks Martin

#58059 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You might look into FreshPet brand. They have rolls and a refrigerated soft kibble.

#58115 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I really likes By Nature 95% when I was using for one of my dogs. The food is 95% of the protein/s listed on the front of the label, and 5% binders, vitamins, and minerals. Seems like a food that’s easy on the tummy, as well, given is short ingredient list.

#58117 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Purina Moist n Meaty is not a good food, so I would definitely recommend changing her food. The Honest Kitchen makes a dehydrated food that is marketed to be highly digestible when mixed with water, I have not used it but have heard from other people that they have gotten good results. Make sure you slowly transition her to any new food, so that it does not upset her stomach.

#58119 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Martin, can you cook for her, buy some chicken breast & pumkin boil the chicken breast no too long, soon as it goes white right thru then remove, then I section into meals & freeze, then I boil pumkin cut in cubes & freeze add a little bit of pumkin to the chicken, I put it all in a blender thing, you can also add other foods that she tolarates, I also add a boiled egg sometimes… Commercial wet tin foods are high in fat % thats probably why she can handle wet food……

#58120 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Martin,
    I agree with trying a dehydrated food. The Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucys are two good choices. I don’t think the above recipe is balanced; not sure the consistency of boiled chicken with pumpkin in a blender is something she can eat. There ARE low fat canned foods; look at Weruva.

#58124 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m postive the above recipe is NOT balanced. If you’re going to go the route of making homemade food, which is a good idea, make sure you get some good balanced recipes. You can make large batches and freeze it in portions that are the right amount for about 3 days. Dogaware.com is a good source of recipes and so is Dr Karen Becker’s book “Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats.”

#58353 Report Abuse
    Leisa D

http://dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/

Dr. Strombeck (Donald R. Strombeck, DVM, PhD, is Professor Emeritus, University of California, Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine.) has an extensive selection of recipes (cooked, not raw) at his site, to include special needs. You might wish to take a look there. I recently stumbled upon it. He uses multi-vitamin (and provides calibration for dog’s weight) to ensure completeness and bone-meal to balance Ca:P.

He has a book on Amazon, but it is out of print, expensive and all of the recipes are on his website. Lots of good information there for free.

Here is the link for geriatric pets

http://dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/feeding_a_normal_dog_or_cat.html#geriatric

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.