šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Krista B

Hello,

Does anyone know the recommended amount of sodium (on a dry matter bais) and the safe upper limit of sodium? Im in the process of contacting several vets regarding this information but I’m wondering if anyone happens to know this. I’ve read and been told by one vet that the recommended range is between 0.3-0.5% dry matter basis. But I’ve also had a vet tell me as high as 1.21% was ok. I’m currently feeding Natural Balance limited ingredient diets and the chicken formula has a sodium level of 1.21%. This seems rather high to me I’m wondering what anyone else thinks of this? I’m looking into a few other brands at the moment. What’s hard is that a prefer a limited ingredient diet because my dog seems to do best on those. My preference is also less than 400 calories per cup and moderate protein and fat. This makes it rather hard to find a suitable dog food. I’m willing to make exceptions if necessary. Right now I’m looking into merrick limited ingredient diets and canidae limited ingredient small breed formulas. I’m also considering sticking to natural balance and using their lower sodium formulas. But what makes me hesitant is that they wouldn’t necessarily be shy about upping the other formulas sodium levels. Does anyone have any suggestions of good brands or know anything about sodium levels? Thanks so much!

#101972 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Per a simple Google search and the search engine here “sodium”
    Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice
    https://www.k9ofmine.com/best-low-sodium-dog-food excerpt below

Generally speaking, most veterinarians use the following categories when discussing low-sodium diets (it usually easier to use the amount of sodium provided for each 100 calories as your unit of measure when comparing foods):
    Dogs with no sodium restrictions require food with at least 0.5% sodium content (>100mg sodium/100kCal)
    Dogs who require mild sodium restriction should be offered foods with between 0.35% and 0.5% sodium content (80 to 100mg/100kCal)
    Dogs who require moderate sodium restriction should only receive foods with between 0.1% and 0.35% sodium content (50 to 80mg/100kCal)
    Dogs who require severe sodium restriction should be offered food with less than 0.1% sodium content (<50mg/100kCal)
    While the AAFCO doesnā€™t address the maximum amount of sodium dogs can ingest safely, the National Research Council of the National Academies does. According to their guidelines, a 33-pound dog who burns about 1,000 Calories per day should not consume more than 2,000 milligrams per day. They do not explicitly state how to extrapolate this figure, as calorie consumption and body weight do not necessarily have a linear relationship.

Copied from Reviews:https://disqus.com/by/zignaturedogfood/ excerpt below
    Zignature Dog Food ā€¢ 3 months ago
    Regardless of their name we sincerely apologize for your experience with our customer service team. We never want our fans or possible fans to have a bad experience dealing with us.
    Here is the correct sodium levels for all of our Zignature formulas:
    Salmon-0.72%
    Venison-0.60%
    Kangaroo-0.67%
    Whitefish-0.51%
    Duck-0.70%
    Lamb-0.62%
    Trout & Salmon-0.57%
    Turkey-0.54%
    Zssential-0.52%

#101976 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“But Iā€™ve also had a vet tell me as high as 1.21% was ok”

A veterinarian that has examined your dog recently and knows the pet’s history, would be the one whose advice I would go by. In lue of blanket statements found on the internet or vets that have not examined your dog and do not know it’s medical history.

This is not veterinary advice; consult your veterinarian.

#101977 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Oops! Spelling faux pas. I meant “In lieu of”

#101979 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

The response by anon101 above is correct about the low sodium diets. % does not help in figuring out sodium mg/100kcal, at least when I compared the % list I received from a company to the list I received from the Cardiologist. The % looked ok, but was over what the recommendations were. My Lab has CHF and the Cardiologist recommended 45-80mg/100kcal of sodium. Doug is what they consider to be moderate sodium restriction.

#101980 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Vikki A
    Why don’t you go with prescription food? Assuming that your vet has suggested/recommended it.

#101983 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

If you look up the reviews as well as the protein content it is the worst!!!!!!!! I would not ever!!! Fillers etc!

#101984 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

I have found, including a list from the cardiologist, wellness to be the best! as well as EVO and Earthborn Holistic.

#101992 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“If you look up the reviews as well as the protein content it is the worst!!!!!!!! I would not ever!!! Fillers etc”

I go by what the veterinarian that has examined my dog recommends, not what I read on internet sites written by who knows who, lol.
    There is more to the food than just the ingredient list. Most commercial kibbles are heavy on the potato (a cheap filler). No matter how much you pay for them.
    I have used prescription foods for my pets several times (when indicated) over the years with good results.
    Best of luck.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by anonymous.
    #101995 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

Well, I wish you the best of luck! I must say, why would you even be on this forum if you do not read the reviews of the dog food you are giving written by who knows who? I myself believe the vets are in bed with these companies and that is why they promote them. Earthborn Holistic has no fillers and no recalls! Do your research just don’t take my word for it, or the vet for that matter! It is very clear what is good and not good based upon the ingredients.
    Good luck to you and your furrbabies!

#102006 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Vikki-

You can’t escape fillers in dog food. Even Wellness, EVO and Earthborn have them. Reason I say this is because all dog foods contain fiber, and fiber is a true filler. Unfortunetly the term “filler” is thrown around a lot now without folks really having a clue what a filler is.

#102418 Report Abuse
    Michael M

Yep, Filler has really gotten a bad connotation. It’s gotten it for (mostly) good reasons of course. However, everything has to have some sort of “filler” in it unless you’re going a purely raw and natural diet.

I think following anon101’s advice makes the most sense and I was going to recommend the same. Also, if you don’t trust your vet, go find a new one! If you love your dogs, you can always get a second opinion. I do the same for my own health, and would also do the same for my pets.

#104562 Report Abuse
    Lori J

Hi Vickki ~ I am still looking for a low sodium food also~ what have you settled on? I have been emailing companies and most give the % and not the mg per 100 kcal ~ its so frustrating! Ted has been on Wellness Healthy weight complete for over year now ( when his heart disease was discovered) but recently has yeasty paws so maybe be getting allergic to something in the Wellness.I think its environmental but want to switch the food just in case

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Lori J.
    #104564 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

Lori J
    Earthborn Holistics grain free large breed is what I started giving Douglas. This is my email… vmadair@gmail.com. Please contact me via email and I will give you all the information I found. Do you have a large breed dog? I have a large list of the companies that actually got back to me with the correct information. So frustrating when you ask them for something specifically and they give you something else. Looking forward to getting you the information you need!

Thanks
    Vikki

#104565 Report Abuse
    Lori J

Thank you Vickki~ I will email you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.