šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Dawn

I have a 16 year old Lhasa-huahua. I am looking at switching his diet to a low fibre food from the store bought stuff he has been on all his life.

He can’t make it through the long nights that I work without soiling. I am hoping that a low fibre diet may help with this. He is very lean and I have always had trouble keeping weight on him so I don’t really think I need a “Senior” formulation for weight control. He is also having issues with arthritis. He has always done better with wet food.

There are so many to choose from and all my vet said was go with a premium brand. Can anyone make suggestions?

Thanks
    Dawn

#103419 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Zignature, wet or dry, presoak the dry food and add water.
    However, at age 16, the ailments you describe are most likely age related.
    Food can only do so much, some seniors need a bathroom break about every 2 hours for optimal results. Minimum, every 4 hours.
    Feed 3 or 4 or 5 small meals per day with water added, rather than 2 meals per day. Always have fresh water available. Don’t expect the dog to hold his urine all day, that’s how bladder stones develop.
    Talk to your vet about prescription meds for the arthritis pain, care and comfort.

#103424 Report Abuse
    Dawn

Ok, so Zignature has so many formulations it makes it even harder to choose and the ones I’ve looked at so far are “Fibre Rich”.

#103425 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Not compared to some other brands (imo)
    Give it a try and see what happens. No guarantees with anything in life.
    Ps: My dogs do well on whitefish or catfish, as a base.

#103426 Report Abuse
    Dawn

So what is the fibre content? I can’t find the details.

#103428 Report Abuse
    anonymous

https://www.chewy.com/zignature-whitefish-limited/dp/118063

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein
    29.0% min
    Crude Fat
    14.0% min
    Crude Fiber
    5.0% max
    Moisture
    10.0% max
    Omega 3 Fatty Acids
    0.4% min
    Omega 6 Fatty Acids
    2.4% min

#103429 Report Abuse
    Dawn

I’m finding other brands much lower. Thanks

#103430 Report Abuse
    anonymous

The canned version: https://www.chewy.com/zignature-whitefish-limited/dp/119179

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein
    9.0% min
    Crude Fat
    5.0% min
    Crude Fiber
    1.0% max
    Moisture
    78.0% max

Old dogs usually have 2 or 3 bowel movements a day, this is normal and healthy.
    Fiber is needed in the diet.

#103432 Report Abuse
    Dawn

so the wet food is much lower…

#103433 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Has he had a senior workup? A physical exam, lab work, etc? Seniors are vulnerable to all sorts of stuff.
    It’s important to rule out any medical causes for a change in bowel habits first, before assuming that diet changes are in order.
    Ps: I just noticed that you mentioned that you consulted your vet. Just saying, some folks don’t bother…

#103434 Report Abuse
    Dawn

Yes. I took him this morning. He is having issues with pain in his front legs. I totally get that he is old a will be stiff and sore at his age but I want him as comfortable as possible in the time I have left with him.

I work long hours at night and I mentioned the problem we are having with him messing at night. He has a large crate with room for his bed and a puppy pad. He just can’t seem to just leave the poop alone. Every morning I come home and he has made a mess if it. So the vet said maybe a low residue/fibre diet might help. I am having trouble with this notion though, after I checked the fibre content of his current food. It is 1.5% just like the wet zignature and has better protein content than some of the “premium” brands.

#103435 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Then he needs to be taken out for bathroom breaks more frequently.
    Seniors are like puppies, all over again.
    High maintenance, they need bathroom breaks at least every 2 hours.
    It is what it is. They can no longer wait 8 to 10 hours for you to come home and let them out.
    There is no magical food that will change these basic facts.
    This is not veterinary advice; consult your veterinarian.

#103436 Report Abuse
    Dawn

That’s not going to happen through the night. I know iit’s less than ideal but that’s the way it is.

#103438 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Dawn-

The % fiber listed on the bag of food is always the MAX amount of fiber that COULD be in the food. Usually the true value of fiber is much lower. Any food you are interested in, I would recommend emailing the company and requesting the fiber % values found on their typical analysis. If they do not know what that is, or refuse to give you the info, avoid that company.

I have one dog that requires a lower % fiber in his diet now as well. He is not a senior, but as he ages his stomach is getting increasingly sensitive.

#103442 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I have a dog who needs low fiber….she eats Earthborn Primitive Natural which is 2.5%. It’s also very small kibble.

This may not be the issue but worth trying.

#103445 Report Abuse
    CockalierMom

… so the wet food is much lowerā€¦

Dawn, no the wet food is higher in fiber than the kibble. To compare dry kibble to wet can, you need to convert both to dry matter.

#103489 Report Abuse
    Dawn

So how do you make a conversion? I am giving him 1% crude fibre in wet food.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.