So confused about what to feed…

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health So confused about what to feed…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Marnie C
    Participant

Years ago after much research and using DFA, I decided to put my whippets on Orijen. And then the FDA and my vet said no grain free. I want to find something that is grain inclusive. I know you all understand but these are my babies and I want what is best. I was looking into The Farmer’s Dog and Ollie but with two I concerned it would break the bank. Trying to find another good food. Any suggestion or advice would be great. I want a food I can feed them both. They are super active.

#172617 Report Abuse
    jeanne e
    Participant

can you post information as to his age. health condition, internally or physical problems?
    does he need a prescription from vet diet food?

#172618 Report Abuse
    Marnie C
    Participant

Sure. Edie is 7 and a bit overweight. StevieRay just turned a year old. No known health concerns.

#172641 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Due you know in Australia & other countries around the world we had NO problems with Grain Free dog foods, its seem to just be USA?? & the amount of cases were low/
    Have you read the latest whats was put out by FDA about DCM?? they do not have enough proof & G/F kibbles have gone back to using legumes again..

ROTATE your dry dog foods that your dogs do well on & if you want the best for your dogs look at feeding Air Dried & Freeze Dried Raw instead of Kibble, kibble is over processed cooked & cooked high temps with no real nutrients….or add fresh healthy ingredients to your dogs dry kibble.

also with Edie start walking him daily exercise, take away some of his kibble 1/4 cup & replace with beans veggies so weight drops, you don’t want an over weight senior, also put him on a good Krill Oil or Antinol for his his joints, brain, heart, skin, coat eyes, kidney health..

#172688 Report Abuse
    Marnie C
    Participant

Susan, thank you for the advice. I have taken away kibble and now separate her from the puppy. She does get plenty of exercise but just has not wanted StevieRay to eat. I will look into those foods.

The concern with the grain free foods is they have a lot of peas, chickpeas, and lentils. Are these in the dogs foods that are grain free there as well? I know potatoes are a concern too. Even dogs on homemade foods had a problem. I think I just may be reading too much. 😄

I’m just trying to be careful as I fed my late whippet a well-known, vet recommended food and she developed DCM.

#172763 Report Abuse
    Saad A
    Participant

Same situation here. I am a new owner of the Bernedoodle dog. I am very confused about its diet. I have just searched on internet, and found some of the best Bernedoodle foods on the internet. But I still really confused as don’t know much about them. Please let me know if anyone experienced here, especially who knows about the Bernedoodles. Which food you recommend from the above foods.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Saad A.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Saad A.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.