šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Elaine
    Participant

I have a 4 yr. old Golden who reguritates a clear, slimy, mucus -y sort of liquid with some frequency (but not every day). He has a very heavy drool of the same clear, slimy stuff. Otherwise, he seems fine. He gets regular vet wellness visits and blood work has all come back as normal but I’m wondering if he has a sensitive stomach. He doesn’t get as much exercise as he needs and is slightly overweight. I’d like some guidance on a good diet kibble that takes into account all of this slimy, mucus business. The vet always suggests the Hill’s EN but you don’t give it a high rating and it gets bad comments in the forum.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

#25347 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

What are you feeding now? Are his stools always solid? I would start with NutriSource because it is usually easy to transition too. I would also add digestive enzymes and probiotics. The signs you are seeing sound like he is feeling sick. I would keep looking for a solution.

#25356 Report Abuse
    Paula
    Participant

Elaine
    I have questions about your dogs reurgitation. Is it after he drinks water and does he regurge food at all? Has this always happened? Does he do it at night
    The reason I ask is there is a condition called Mega Esophagus (ME). It can hit a dog at any age and there are many different degrees of it.
    I have a 18 month old Mega E dog. SHe was born with ME but it is caused by PRAA Persistant Right Aortic Arch.
    When ever I hear of a dog regurging anything I automatically think ME.

#25371 Report Abuse
    Elaine
    Participant

Thanks for the response, Patty, and suggestion for NutriSource. I have given probiotics in the past and should give that a try again. I’ll ask about enzymes. He has good energy and doesn’t appear to feel sick.
    Paula, your questions are very much on point. Can’t remember when I think this started but it’s certainly been going on a while. Yes, it often happens after he drinks water but not always. He almost never regurgitates any food. This problem usually occurs during the day. I had never heard of Mega Esophagus but will be calling my vet to talk about it as a possibility. If she doesn’t take it more seriously, I’m getting a 2nd opinion.
    Thanks again to both!

#81893 Report Abuse
    Todd G

Hi Paula (and Elaine, if applicable), can you tell me what sort of treatment regimen did you use to treat your dog’s mega-esophagus? The symptoms Elaine describes sound exactly like my 3-year-old Goldendoodle’s. I’m going to ask my vet about the condition but would appreciate any input regarding your experience.

#81895 Report Abuse
    Elaine
    Participant

Hi Todd,
    In November 2015, my vet finally did a scope of Brewster’s stomach. A histopathology was done and as a result of that, he was put on 2 antibiotics for 2 weeks: Metronidazole (500 mg.)1 tablet twice a day and Amoxicillin (500 mg.) 1 tablet twice a day. Both these antibiotics were give during the same 2 week period.
    That course of meds seems to have taken care of the problem. There has been no more regurgitation. He eats a DFA recommended kibble and is getting along fine. Hope this helps. (My son has a Goldendoodle – sweet dog!)
    Elaine

#81899 Report Abuse
    Todd G

Thanks for the fast response Elaine! Harvey has been on metronidazole before (and possibly amoxicillin, can’t remember for sure), when he had some more severe digestive issues and was having difficulty keeping any food down at all. Those haven’t recurred for a year or so, and he’s eating normally. (He and his iron-stomached one-year-old full brother both eat a mix of two DFA-recommended dry foods, one 4-star and one 5-star.) But the morning water regurgitation seems to have increased a bit lately.

Luckily, he is otherwise healthy and not losing weight, so I don’t think it’s an urgent problem, but it seems like the sort of thing that could run the risk of long-term damage if left untreated, so I have a call in to our vet.

Thanks so much for for the feedback and for writing your original post. It was a relief to see someone else describing the same symptoms our little buddy is having.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.