šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    IRIS R

I have an American Bulldog/Blue Pit mix- 9 months old, currently weighing around 85 -90 lbs. I’ve had Diesel since he was a puppy, so he’s been vetted regularly, current on all vaccinations, etc. The issue is this- he’s had an ongoing skin issue that never seems to completely go away. It started about 4 months ago. I noticed bumps under his coat and a “musky” smell. The vet said “Bully” breeds commonly have very sensitive skin. He started him initially on an antibiotic, 10 day cycle was completed. His coat looked amazing and no foul odor. Just a few weeks later, the bumps were back. A second, stronger antibiotic was prescribed. Same thing- bumps went away but came back several weeks later. We went BACK to the vet. Diesel was given a steroid and 2 antibiotics to take. It seems like we’re circling and the issue is never resolved. He doesn’t scratch, so I don’t think it itches. One thing I have noticed is that he sheds more when the bumps are prevalent. I need to know IF this type of skin issue is really that common. As a parent of humans, I do not want my children on antibiotics repeatedly. Same with my furbaby.. I would hate to know that he needs to be on long term meds to heal his skin.
    Any advice, suggestions, comments are welcome.. I’m open to anything at this point.

#64652 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Iris, what diet is he eating??

#64664 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, here’s a link about Hypoallergenic diets either kibbles or homemade hypoallergenic recipes.. The steroid just puts their immune in remission & as soon as you stop taking the steroid everything comes back the same, I never bothered to try a steroid (Prednisone) or antibiotics cause I knew as soon as I stop his hive like lumps bad smell & itch will be back, I wanted to find out what was causing the lumps under the skin & his itch, so I started an elimination diet & found Patch can’t eat Potatoes. Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Barley, Oats, all starchy foods are no good for Patch, now I have him on a vet diet cause he also has IBD…
    http://hypoallergenicdogfoodcenter.com/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.