Size and shape of kibble

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Size and shape of kibble

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lynda B

This may seem like a strange subject, but when I noticed the ingredients in the Purina One dog food I’ve been feeding my two Chis for a long time, I freaked. I want to get them on a grain free diet and a Better diet of ingredients/healthier, but the problem is one of the Chis is 12 years old and I don’t want her to break a tooth trying to chew hard kibble. I have changed to Racheal Ray’s Nutrish Just 6 and the kibble was so hard, she was having a real problem eating it. Same thing with Good Natured, a Pet Smart brand. These kibble shapes were round and thick, very hard to crunch and eat. The Purina One’s kibble was thin and more easy to crunch and eat. I’m wanting to try Tractor Supply’s brand of 4Health Small Bites Adult, but I Don’t Know what the kibble looks like!! Does anyone out there know? Or know of a kibble that is a thinner shape in a grain free diet? Are all limited ingredient grain free dog food kibble hard as a rock and round??!! Thanks for any input.

#108698 Report Abuse
    anonymous

First of all, if your dog appears to be having difficulty chewing kibble then he probably needs a dental exam, cleaning and extractions as needed. Then he will be able to eat any kibble you choose for him.

I would schedule the vet appointment as soon as possible, senior checkup, labs and other testing as recommended by the veterinarian. Dental care for senior pets is very important.

If your dog prefers softer food, you can always presoak the kibble in the fridg overnight prior to serving and it will be soft, the extra moisture is good for him too.

#108699 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Grain free diets have become all the rage in the last few years. I suspect this has stemmed from greater recognition of gluten sensitivity in humans. Most pet food companies have jumped on the band wagon following the marketing success of grain free human diets. The truth of the matter is that there are no dog or cat studies showing a health benefit to grain free foods. A myth has been perpetuated that grains are unhealthy. In fact, whole grains contribute vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids and are highly digestible by dogs and cats. Allergies to grains are actually very rare, and only the Irish Setter breed has been demonstrated to have a gluten sensitivity. Many grain free diets substitute potatoes and tapioca, which have less protein, more sugar, and less fiber. And typically these come at a higher cost.

Above is an excerpt from
    https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/choosing-the-right-diet-for-your-pet/
    click on link for full article

Also. http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/
    Science based veterinary medicine

#108705 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Gonna have to argue with you on that anon. Dogs may contribute from some of the heathier more bioavailability grains but cats do not. Cats are obligate carnivores and only need a balanced diet in meat , bones, and organs to live a healthy life. Grains and any plant matter is completely useless for them. I’m tired of brands like science diet saying corn is a healthy source of protein to cats and dogs. Especially cats when it is not. Kidney disease is on the rise in cats by an astronomical amount. With more cats dying from kidney failure then any other type of illness. That is because of this garbage kibble people are told to buy. Science diet does nothing but mask problems and create more problems down the road.
    I do however second a dental exam. If he just prefers softer foods though canned or rolls (Freshpet) would be good options as well. Most grain free foods will have a smaller more dense shape so you might have a hard time finding something suitable.

#108734 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

haleycookie-

I’m sure you’ve figured out by now that we are going to ask for links to credible research (published papers, studies, peer reviewed articles etc) when such statements are presented like “kidney disease is on the rise in cats..” “cats dying from kidney failure more than any other illness” “that is because of garbage kibble people are told to buy”. Whats interesting is, you likely can’t produce any of this information because studies done in cats are few and far between. Why do you think we can’t easily diagnose and treat heartworm disease in cats even though some 50% or more of the cat population (indoor and outdoor) are HW+? So I’ll ask you then, where do you get your information from? It doesn’t seem to have any basis besides someones opinion you’ve likely read on facebook etc.

#108749 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Lynda B-
    Go ahead and put your pups back on Purina One if that is what was working for them! I do not believe that a grain free diet is necessarily better for all dogs. I prefer to rotate brands and flavors of kibble for my dogs, but that is not necessary either. It just works for us. Right now I’m rotating through the different Purina One flavors. Currently feeding the Salmon/Tuna formula. My dogs are doing just fine.

Actually have been reading more about grain free food health issues starting to pop up in dogs lately. I’m not so sure that peas, lentils, tapioca starch and potatoes are necessarily better than rice, barley, oatmeal and corn. Peas and sweet potatoes have quite a bit of sugar in them.

I have fed grain free Victor and they have small kibble. You could give it a try if you want to give grain free a try. But, do get a dental exam if her teeth are bugging her. My nine year old cat just had a cleaning and had two teeth removed. He’s eating just fine now.

Good luck!

#129605 Report Abuse
    Kimberly H

Lynda B,
    I understand your concern. My little ChiPin (Chihuahua x Min Pin) does have a harder time trying to crunch down on the round dense kibble and she does not have issues with her teeth and is only 4 years old. She much prefers the flat disc shapes that lay flat between her teeth and make it much easier to crunch down on and they are less dense. But I don’t believe the kibble will break your baby’s teeth even the dense ones. You can always find the kibble you want and just soften it with some hot water (& of course let it cool) or homemade bone broth (more cost effective & less worry about the sodium if you make yourself). Since my dog is not sensitive to grains, I have her on a grain-inclusive diet and she is currently on 4Health Salmon and Potato which have nice disc-shaped kibble but I’ve started wanting to get away from Peas, Lentils, Legumes, White Potatoes, and White Rice AND have the disc-shaped kibble. This will be quite a journey until I am able to put my dog back onto the raw diet, which I much rather prefer but can’t at the moment.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.