šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Liz B

I have my 8 y/0 Shepard Akita mix on a very expensive dry food -Orijen- plus a homemade liver supplement added in. He’s been on this for over a year. He still has a dry, flaky coat and his tail looks more like a palm frond. It used to be a very thick-plumed tail. I don’t know what else to do. He is otherwise pretty healthy and fit. Does coconut oil help?

#85392 Report Abuse
    anonymously

What is his diagnosis? It might make sense to take him to a dermatologist, especially if this has been going on for a while.
    Otherwise, how do you expect people on the internet who may or may not have any veterinary experience and who have not examined your dog or reviewed his medical history to give you any meaningful advice?
    Coconut oil and supplements do not help, imo.
    PS: Has he had a senior workup? If not, he is due, lab work and some testing could reveal the cause for his dry skin/hair loss condition.

Coconut Oil for Pets?

#85393 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I suppose you could try a daily fish oil capsule, once you have ruled out medical causes….it is not medicine, it is a supplement and may help (a little if at all) with dry skin.

PS: Have thyroid issues been ruled out?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.