šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    REASMITH
    Participant

Have a 10 yr old Boxer who has a sensitive stomach and also “chews” his paws. He has been eating Iams ProActive Health mini chunks, but recently has started vomiting “little piles”. I need advice on which is the best canned food to feed him. He doesn’t chew the dry food, so therefore, canned food will be the best option. Several years ago he was diagnosed with pancreatitis and recovered and no problems until now. I have read information on several canned foods that will help with sensitive tummy and allergies, such as chewing paws. Any advice will be appreciated and I value advice from dog lovers and hands on experience.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Mike Sagman. Reason: Fix Duplicate Topic Title
    #16640 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Are you looking for single protein foods? Merrick 96% Grain Free and Hound & Gatos and Fromm Four Star Nutritionals comes to mind. Party Animal has some organic choices and Weruva has some that are just chicken or tuna and are low fat.

#16642 Report Abuse
    REASMITH
    Participant

Thanks for the info, but since I am in a small town, my choices are limited. I know I can order on internet, but I would like to purchase a can first to see if Zeus would eat the food. I didn’t know how good Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Stomach & Allergies was. We do have a Tractor Supply which carries Blue Buffalo and would appreciate any feedback on the product.

#16643 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Tractor Supply will have some grain free kibble choices. They have their own brand called 4health Grain Free also. It might be too much for him to go from Iams Proactive Health to Blue Buffalo Wilderness if you were thinking of going grain free. Blue also has Freedom which you might consider first. It’s a mid-protein range grain free food. Wellness also has a allergy line called Simple.

#16644 Report Abuse
    REASMITH
    Participant

Great! Thanks for the info!! Will go by this afternoon after work and see what I can buy. Thanks for letting me know that Blue Buffalo maybe too much for him. So many options of food and I get overwhelmed and confused!!! Thanks for people, like you, that can help!!!!

#16645 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You’re welcome. I started out feeding bad food years ago and worked our way up to the good stuff! I put my fosters on “mid-range” food. They’re not with me long enough to put them on higher stuff.

#16646 Report Abuse
    REASMITH
    Participant

Will let you know tomorrow on how Zeus reacts to the new food!

#16648 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You might want to get either some canned pumpkin puree or ground psyllium to give with feeds to help his stools during transition and some probiotics to help maintain a healthy gut. I usually feed about 50-75% of what a normal serving would be for 2 days before giving full servings when switching cold turkey. Otherwise you can take as long as you want to transition over to new food. From 10 days to 2 months. Digestive enzymes will help too so he doesn’t throw up little piles.

#17242 Report Abuse
    Vigilent
    Participant

My 8 year old Doberman has been eating Purina Pro Pla salmon for sensitive stomachs and her dry skin, typical in Dobes, has gotten better, however, I am considering a better quality food for her. She seems to have an allergy that could be related to the food. I’m considering the Acana brand, however, she still needs an ingredient to deal with her dry skin. Anyone out there with experience with this? Thank you!

#17243 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Vigilent,

You can give additional fish oil and/or coconut oil to help her skin.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.