šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Melanie M

I have a Bouvier who is 15mo old and I cannot find a food that does not give him diarrhea . I switch him ultra slow and have tried the following : Blue Wilderness GF Lg Breed Puppy, Fromms GF Lg Breed Puppy, GO (Epicurean) GF Lg Breed Puppy, and the most Recent Farmina GF Lg Breed Puppyā€¦I need a recommendation ā€¦

#43833 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Melanie-
    That is very concerning. Have you taken the dog to a vet for a fecal or blood test. Does he have intermittent diarrhea, or all the time? First of all you need to find out if he has a health condition. I went through this with my pups, thinking it was the food, but it was actually parasites found in a fecal test.

Now, if you have ruled out those issues, then you need to figure out what ingredient or ingredients that your dog has an intolerance to. They do not necessarily have an intolerance to a food. They have an intolerance to something in the food. Try a different food with totally different ingredients than the ones you have already fed. Have all the foods you have fed so far been chicken based? If yes, try a different protein and binder on the next bag. A limited ingredient food might be the best choice to eliminate what the issue is. Keep a list of the foods and ingredients you’ve tried so far to help you rule out ingredients. I wish you luck!

#43837 Report Abuse
    Melanie M

Thanks…I’m going to try and get a fecal test today to rule that out…I just assumed it was food and in the meantime I might plot out what the food I have tried contains and see if I can’t find the culprit…

#43841 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

That sounds like a great plan! I switched foods several times as well thinking that was the problem. I had never even heard of giardia or coccidia before. Good luck!

#43880 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, also when trying a new food try one lower in fat% & lower in protein % as I know that Farmina is a high fat & high protein % maybe he cant handle that, also Ive noticed that u’ve been trying all Grain free kibbles maybe try a kibble with rice or oats just a few good grains he may do better.. My boy has IBD & when Ive tried GF kibbles that had potatos it went straight thru him I dont know if it was the fat% it was 15% or the potatos but it was real bad then I put him back on his Eukanuba Intestinal vet prescription diet, even if you try a vet prescrition diet kibble just for a while to heal his bowel & get him pooing normal again, then so slowly start introducing another new kibble but try one that isnt GF there’s a few good kibbles that the girls mention for diarrhea I cant remember their names, nutri source I cant remember maybe C4C knows the kibbles names for diarrhea, also a real good probiotic will help..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.