🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Robin M

I am desperately trying to find a good Senior Weight Loss food. I understand that most seniors need help putting ON weight, but my baby needs to lose. As of now, I am feeding Blue Buffalo BLUE Senior Dog Chicken & Brown Rice. From the reviews on this page I am finding that most of the Senior brands don’t get very good marks.

Should I try starting just Adult instead of Senior? I am wondering if I should just started focusing on the Weight Management part instead of the Senior Nutrition but I am worried he won’t get what vitamins, etc he needs.

Also, I was advised to give Yogurt as a treat. Is there a particular brand I should try? And can I freeze it for a special treat?

Thanks for all replies.
    Robin

• This topic was modified 7 years ago by Robin M. Reason: Addition question added
    #98730 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Natural Balance for Fat Dogs, check it out, only 250 calories a cup and the ingredients don’t look bad at all. I give a 1/2 raw carrot as a treat (not baby carrots/choking hazard)
    https://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog-formulas/dry/fat-dogs/original

I would feed this to a senior. I might add a little lean ground cooked turkey or a bite of scrambled with water egg to it. Plus a splash of water to the kibble (a lot of dogs don’t drink enough water)
    I never give yogurt or any dairy products to dogs. The only supplement I add is one fish oil capsule a day.

Increase walks, activity. Any way you can take him swimming? One minute of swimming is equal to 4 minutes of running! And easy on the joints.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by anonymous.
    #98732 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

My dogs get yogurt and love it. We do freeze in kongs occasionally, which they really look forward to (especially on hot days)!

My unpopular belief is that low calorie and/or low fat “weight control” foods are about as effective as low fat cookies and lean cusine (for humans) are. Have you spoke with your vet about the weight issue? Depending on his age, breed, etc. they may want to do some bloodwork just to make sure everything (inside) is working as it should. Sometimes weight problems are medical in nature, which (if addressed) can make the weight loss journey so much easier on everyone 🙂

Cheers!

#98734 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Yes, I agree. A senior workup, lab work and all. I assumed this was done already.
    If not, it is important to rule out medical issues first. Seniors are vulnerable to all sorts of stuff.

#98808 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Yes. The vet knows about it and is working with us. She’s the one who said to lower his food intake to 2 cups a day. One of the vet techs suggested giving half food and half no salt green beans and carrots mixed. She said they are a filler but no calories.

#98809 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Robin-

I currently have a senior Lab who needed to lose 7lbs. So far he has lost 2.

What I did that has been working was putting him on a weight control food that was both low in fat and calories. Most importantly I stopped giving him any and all treats and table food. We also increased his walks. If you want to treat your dog, pet him, play ball, fetch etc. Those are a healthy “treat” for your dog that they enjoy.

Controlling calories is extremely important for weight loss. If they are taking in more calories than they are burning they can not lose weight.

#98827 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Yea the only treats he gets are the pill pockets for his meds. I am a little concerned that by cutting his food intake by half it won’t be enough for him. With the carrots/green beans being just filler.

I know..I worry too much. But, as most on this site know, he’s my baby LOL.

Thanks everyone

#98828 Report Abuse
    Robin M

So do you guys think the weight control is more important than the senior aspect of the food?

#98829 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

That is why it’s recommended to use the weight control food. It has extra added fiber so that you can feed less without having to worry about them not being full.

Also if he has a lot of weight to lose you want to do it slowly.

Right now getting the weight off is going to be the most important thing. The senior aspect of it is less important than getting the weight off.

#98848 Report Abuse
    Robin M

He doesn’t really. He’s built low to the ground (heh) He’s a mix breed of shepherd and some smaller breed that has the small knobby front legs? We haven’t been able to fit him into the second category yet. She’s concerned his little bit of extra weight may be causing an issue we are seeing with one of his front legs where he limps on it. We think (since she’s done x-rays, etc) that it may be joint related ie: arthritis. And the extra weight isn’t helping matters.

Here he is. You can see his tiny, knobby front legs in this one 🙂 BTW..my son named him Cheeto…because he said “he’s shaped like a big Cheese Puff” LOL

Thanks

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by Robin M.
    #98851 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Do you have pet health insurance? I’m asking because if your vet prescribes aqua therapy (swimming in a heated pool) as a weight loss/rehab, it may be covered.

Ps: re: the short legs, Corgi?

#98852 Report Abuse
    Robin M

We thought Corgi also. Or some other type of terrier breed. No, sadly we don’t have pet insurance. We are thinking of it though.

#98853 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I agree, it’s best to keep him on the lean side. I have found dogs enjoy their food most when they have gone a few hours without eating and are REALLY hungry. Get him one of those dome dishes designed to slow him down…if he eats too fast.

#98857 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Thinking of trying this one. It seems to have decent ratings on this site. Well, at least the Iams brand does. For some reason there is no rating for the Weight Management with Chicken type. No idea why…

#98858 Report Abuse
    anonymous

https://www.chewy.com/iams-healthy-naturals-weight/dp/105040
    compare with:
    https://www.chewy.com/natural-balance-fat-dogs-chicken/dp/46804

In my opinion Natural Balance is better, almost 100 calories less per cup than Iams. Plus, the ingredients look good.
    I thought the goal was for the dog to lose weight? Obesity can lead to all kinds of disorders, plus if the dog ever needs surgery, the risk is much greater for an obese dog……just like with people.

Ps: What food does your vet recommend?

#98861 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

Robin, that is one cute dog!!

#98862 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

Also–have you looked at food puzzle toys online? Chewy and Amazon sell them as do most pet stores. A few pieces of kibble can keep them busy for quite some time!

#98863 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Aww..thank you Acroyall! We haven’t looked at the puzzle toys. I honestly didn’t know they existed lol

And Anon101…Yes, the goal is for the dog to lose weight. I’m not sure what your question was there…the link I posted (Amazon) I have the “Weight Management” selected. Sorry if it didn’t come up that way 🙂

We didn’t really get that deep into it. She asked what I was feeding, I told her and how much, she made suggestions on cutting it back and seeing if that helped him lose weight. Basically she is at the monitor and see stage. If the cutting back does not work, I am sure she will suggest other brands of foods or more specific types and other things for us to do. Right now again, it’s not a serious issue as we’re just getting started down this road.

#98865 Report Abuse
    anonymous

It’s weight management, but it is 337 calories per cup. The one I recommended is 250 calories per cup.

If any living thing wants to lose weight (assuming a medical condition isn’t the cause).
    They have to eat less/consume less calories and move more. It’s really that simple.
    Good luck

#98866 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Ok thanks. I didn’t see that part. I just saw “weight management” and assumed it would actually be weight management

#98867 Report Abuse
    anonymous

An easy fix would be to cut the amount of whatever you are feeding her in half. Two meals per day, measured amounts. NO SNACKS. No free feeding (leaving food down) Always have fresh water available.
    Add a splash of water to the food, offer frequent bathroom breaks, opportunities to urinate.
    Weigh in one week, step on the scale first and note your weight, then lift the dog up and step on the scale, note the weight and deduct your weight.
    Increase daily walks, even if slow, leisurely, 10 minute walks. The more movement the better.
    I can almost guarantee you will see a loss. She is cute, but she does not need the extra weight, obesity is not cute.

#98868 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

Robin, I know some people with dogs that eat so fast that they inhale, and seem hungry afterwards so they feed in things like a Buster Cube. One of my agility friends feeds 1/2 portion as a “Regular” meal in a bowl, and then the other half portion in something like a Buster Cube to slow him down and extend the time it takes for him to eat. It’s not a weight loss tool in itself, but I think sometimes dogs eat so darned fast that they think they’re starving because feeding time is over in .0005 seconds 😉

Even if you’re concerned about calories (in yogurt), you can literally dilute the yogurt with water if you choose to feed and freeze (in a kong).

I know some Golden Retriever people who swear by green beans to help with weight loss, as Goldens seem to put weight on easily. Rapid weight loss in encouraging at first, but not always safe, so be cautious if you see dramatic loss early on.

#98873 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Anon101…The vet tech said to cut his food by half and give no salt green beans/carrots for the other half. So as of now he gets 1/2 c of his Blue Buffalo Senior food and 1/2 c of mixed green beans and carrots. This is twice a day. We just started that last week. She said the veggies were a “filler” with no calories. Hopefully we will see a difference. I’ve had several people tell me no to yogurt due to the dairy in it. I am going to make sure it’s ok via the vet and start giving that.

#98875 Report Abuse
    Robin M

What are the “dome” dishes? I will look into them. Thanks

#98876 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Sorry….cannot find a delete post so disregard this one please

#98877 Report Abuse
    anonymous

https://www.chewy.com/indipets-stainless-steel-slow-pet/dp/135949
    This is the one that works for one of my dogs.

#98880 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Ahh…ty 🙂

#98889 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

My favorite weight loss foods are Annamaet Lean & Wellness Core reduced fat.

#98909 Report Abuse
    HoundMusic
    Participant

“She’s concerned his little bit of extra weight may be causing an issue we are seeing with one of his front legs where he limps on it. We think (since she’s done x-rays, etc) that it may be joint related ie: arthritis. And the extra weight isn’t helping matters.

Here he is. You can see his tiny, knobby front legs in this one”

Look’s like he’s got some Beagle mixed in there, and if that’s the case, I’m going to say he appears to be only slightly overweight – that overly long back, over-stuffed sausage shape and “bench” legs (meaning legs that bow outwards) are just a sign of a common condition in Beagles called chrondrodystrophy. Not that he isn’t a bit fluffy, but in consideration of that body type, he’s not really overweight at all, or else doesn’t seem to be in that pic.

On that note, the limping you are seeing, despite it being in the leg, may actually be a symptom of intervertebral disc disease, which is almost inevitable in bench-legged Beagles. The first indication of IVDD coming to the surface is limping on one or more legs, so you might want to get that checked (it is diagnosed with a spinal x-ray), because it can be a life threatening condition if left untreated.

I’m generally trying to get weight on my hounds, but I find home-cooking keeps them thin, and barring that, any commercial kibble that is 300 kcals per cup or under should do the trick nicely. Also, watch the calcium:phosphorous content, meaning, no grain free, ultra high protein foods. Careful with exercise too, because if there is an underlying condition there causing the limping, too much can very easily aggravate it.

ETA: I very stupidly forgot to mention that my older bitch with IVDD does very well on and stays extremely slim begin supplemented with Iams Premium Protection Mature Adult. It’s not the regular Iams – this is in a white bag – and it’s difficult to find, so we don’t feed it consistently, but thought I’d just throw that suggestion out there 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by HoundMusic.
    #98911 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Re: HoundMusic (I SO wish there was a way to respond to certain posters…LOL)

I absolutely LOVE your pup in your pic above. So cute!! And HA! ‘fluffy’! So funny! I am going to tell that to my hubby lol..

Maybe that’s why he’s having a hard time losing? Also, you can see the “humps” where his hips are on his back. So I am just curious if he is actually overweight? I admit, you didn’t used to be able to see that before he went on his diet. I mean, it’s not REAL visible, but you can see the rise in the skin where they are. The below is a pic of his hips. You can kind of see the two bumps on either side of his spine. I am guessing those are his hip bones. I will ask the vet to check on that disc disease when I go back to see her. I know, as I have DDD and other spine issues, how much THAT can hurt 🙁

#98914 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I never said that your pet was overweight. You implied that your dog was overweight based on what the veterinarian that examined your dog said (according to you). You claim that the veterinarian advised that your dog needs to lose weight?
    You have not stated your dog’s weight? Desired weight? Age? Medical conditions?

Don’t understand what your question is?

PS: Some of us have made suggestions regarding dog food, hope it helps.

#98928 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Interrupting to say hi to Chris!
    Marie

#98937 Report Abuse
    Robin M

No you didn’t. I did. And the vet did. Noone is saying you DID say it. I freely admit that I am the one that said “I am desperately trying to find a good Senior Weight Loss food. I understand that most seniors need help putting ON weight, but my baby needs to lose.” I stick by my statement. Not quite sure what you want me to say. I am not denying I said anything or that YOU said anything like that.

I am a little confused by your post. I am also not sure why you are stating the above as if I ever implied that you said something you didn’t. I have gone over all of my posts and don’t see what you could be referring to? However, I will try my best to give you the info you request:

Dog’s weight: 63 lbs
    Dog’s desired weight: lose about 53 lbs
    Dog’s age: 8yrs

No known medical conditions that would have any affect on his weight. If you need all of them, then his right eye is clouded. He has a limp in his front right leg that the vet says is probably arthritis. That is why she wants him to lose weight. Apologies if I didn’t give the correct info up front.

Please understand…I did not in any way mean for ANY of my posts to come off as rude or inconsiderate. If that is how they sounded, then I sincerely apologize. I merely want to get information from others who have had the same issue or perhaps have more or a better understanding of the overweight and trouble losing issue. I really did not mean to come here and start something or imply anyone was anything other than nice to me. I realize that you all give advice freely and I appreciate that. If something I have said or done upset you all, please let me know and I will leave.

Thanks

#98962 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Oh, no. Don’t apologize. I wish you and your dog well. I’m sorry if I didn’t communicate that effectively.
    I’m the one who should take a break. :/
    Peace

#98965 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Robin M:
    I hope you don’t leave, looks like some helpful info has been posted for you to look into.

I have a dog that tends to get chubby during hot weather (inactive time for him) and have to closely monitor his calories. When I have a moment I will post some of the weight management/Sr. formulas I feed.

I feed yogurt here and there as a treat; not very large portions. I buy low-fat, no particular brand. Make sure there are no artificial sweeteners added, some are deadly for dogs. I sometimes freeze it in ice cube trays for a frozen treat. I am going to be making a few frozen treats with some fresh fruit for summertime. Maybe I’ll add some sardines for another flavor too. Very important, keep track of calories don’t over do it!!

#99022 Report Abuse
    HoundMusic
    Participant

@ Robin M:
    “Also, you can see the “humps” where his hips are on his back. So I am just curious if he is actually overweight?”

Pictures can be deceiving, but it does seem like he has a waistline, and might already be at a good weight. Even correctly build Beagles are a square dog, and people not familiar with the breed often confuse their naturally heavy build for being fat. I have actually had Vets who thought my red & white bitch and her sire were mixed with some sort of bulldog breed, because they were not accustomed to seeing anything other than scrawny puppy mill Beagles 🙁

I stink at posting pics to this site so I’ll add a link to a brace (type of field trial) Beagle site with some good pics of this type of hound – they are all actually slim & trim for their body shape.

http://thebracebeaglenews.com/

@ Inked Marie

Hallo there ::waves::

How are your puppers doing? Oh, and give Boone a treat from me 🙂

#99023 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Pups are great, Chris! We’re all so glad for our nice weather days so we can get outside. O’Malley & Ginger love to run around and play; Boone just wants to graze!

#99024 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Hello, anon101…No worries. I was just a little confused about where the tone (can’t think of a better way to word it lol) came from. It felt to me (and please understand that this was ONLY MY perception…which can be completely wrong, trust me lol) that you were upset about something I had said, and I could not for the life of me figure out what it was.

Anyway, forget about the whole thing, please? I hate communicating via message boards or facebook. Because intent cannot be conveyed over written word. It’s up to whomever reads it to decide what is meant by the words. So, I probably mistook what you typed. For that, I sincerely apologize. It is not an excuse, but we are waiting on the arrival of our first granddaughter, and I am a little “on edge” lol. Please forgive my words.

I wish to get back to the main subject, if possible. Are we still ok?

#99025 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Hi Houndmusic…I love your name, as I said. It brings to mind the baying and playful yipping of puppies lol.

I see from your pic that my Cheeto is maybe at a good weight..perhaps a slight bit over. He has that upward line from his ribs which would suggest a waistline. He is “barrel-chested” I think it’s called. That could make him look bigger, also.

I have made another appt with my vet and will discuss all I have learned here from everyone. Hopefully we can come to an agreement that I am comfortable with. I also want to re-weigh him since we have been on the “1/2 food and 1/2 green beans and carrots” diet 😉

Thanks again

#99026 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Of course, let’s forget about…… I don’t what I was saying. Note to self: Think before you post. I apologize if I upset or confused you in any way.

Corgi’s are barrel chested and they love to eat and tend to put weight on easily. I used to walk the one I had 3 to 5 miles a day, at one point she was up to 40 pounds (34 being ideal).
    The weight came off gradually after about 3 months of walking. And of course measured amounts for her 2 daily feedings. Only a raw carrot for an occasional snack.
    They say you should be able to feel the ribs, just a light layer adipose tissue covering them. They shouldn’t be sticking out, though.

#99141 Report Abuse
    HoundMusic
    Participant

@ InkedMarie

We are still waiting for our nice weather days over in my neck of the woods :/ Got warmer for about 4-5 days, then turned cold again, now rainy. Blah.

@ Robin M

“Hi Houndmusic…I love your name, as I said. It brings to mind the baying and playful yipping of puppies lol.”

Ha! 🙂 That’s an old internet moniker of mine half named after the sound a pack of hunting Beagles make, and half of the perfect, musical Arooooo of my first bluetick. That dog is gone some eight years now, and I can /still/ remember perfectly what his voice sounded like. *sniff*

#99284 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Thanks everyone for all your comments/suggestions. I am sure I will get this worked out and have a healthy and happy Cheeto!

I wanted to show you all my other baby. I lost her at 3:01AM on April 2011, but it hurts just as bad today. She was 10. From what I understand, that’s a long time for a larger dog.

RIP Duchess. You are my beautiful baby girl 🙁

#99285 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Beautiful. Looks like a Dalmatian/lab mix.

#99286 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Gorgeous dog. Very unique. So sorry for your loss 🙁

#99287 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Yea I’m guessing she had lab in her. Not enough spots to be full Dal. Plus her body was lean and tall. Dals are usually more “chunky” lol.

We found her at what is called the “I-57 Flea Market”. Some guy had about 4 pups in the back seat of his car at the entrance of the flea market for sale for $50. I wish I could have gotten all of them but by the time me and my son got hubby talked into it she was the only one left. Her and my son slept in the back seat of our van all the way home (about 40 miles). They grew up together. She would protect him so fiercely.

#99288 Report Abuse
    Robin M

Thanks Pitluv. I still get upset on the anniversary. Hubby said I can’t have any pics on the wall or I would be crying all the time. I have one on my desk and more on my computer lol.

#99289 Report Abuse
    Robin M

By the way, your baby looks very comfy in your profile pic. Too cute 🙂

#99309 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

What a beauty Duchess was. I’m so sorry for your loss!
    She bears a striking resemblance to a Dalmatian/Whippet or Greyhound mix from my childhood. Like your dog, she was tall and lean (thanks to her sighthound heritage) and had the same ear set. She was protective yet not at all aggressive (thanks to the Dalmatian heritage)! She was a really cool dog.

#99310 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Thanks Robin 😛 He loves sleeping in our computer chairs. His new thing has become getting under the covers after breakfast in the morning and sleeping lol I dont understand why!

#99313 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

So sorry Robin. She was beautiful

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.