🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Shantelle B

Looking for a good quality senior fomula, for my 7+ year old husky. Currently on Diamond. Suggestions?

#96222 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, Canidae has brought out a few new grain free formula’s one is Pure Meadow Senior, my neighbor just order a bag of the Canidae Pure Meadow & it smells & looks really good, she gave me 2 kibbles so I could do my kibble test to see if the kibble digest easy & yes after soaking the 2 kibbles in very warm water the kibbles were soft all the way thru in
    15-minutes, so very easy to digest, my boy has IBD & can’t eat chicken 🙁 so I’m looking at the new Canidae Pure Wild Boar….
    Ingredient’s Canidae Pure Meadow Senior are, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, peas, potatoes, a 50-75lb dog only needs 2 & 1/2 cups per day…
    There’s also “Holistic Select” Chicken Meal & Rice Senior Health, same the kibble digest real easy was soft within 15mins….
    Holistic Select Senior Ingredients are, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat, Anchovy & Sardine Meal….
    You could rotate between the 2 kibbles, Holistic Select Senior has grains & Canidae Senior is grain Free the fat is 10%min in both kibbles & protein is around 26 to 28% min…
    Just make sure when changing from your old kibble you look for new kibble around the same amount of fat, protein & fiber %, you can go up a few percent but don’t go from feeding a kibble that was 20% protein to a kibble with 30 + % protein, same with the fat % don’t go from 10-12% fat up to 17-20% fat….You can get some digest problems but your dog might be fine & is OK..
    Canidae- http://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products
    Holistic Select- http://holisticselect.com.au/recipes.aspx?pet=dog
    I feed my senior boy he’s 8yrs old “Taste Of The Wild” Sierra Mountain Roasted Lamb & he gets a cooked meal for dinner or lunch about 5 times a week + Yakult probiotic drink, Almonds & apple, a few peeled pieces apple as a treat, tin salmon in spring water with sweet potato, K-9 Natural Green Lipped Mussels treats, just make sure you give foods that are high in omega 3 fatty acids, & supplements for joints like Green lipped Mussel + Turmeric, Sasha’s Blend, Rose Hip Vital, there’s a few on the market, make sure you give with food they can cause stomach reflux….
    Dr Peter Dobias has just brought out a new Omega 3 oil supplement, that has no mercury made from Calamari, it took him 2-3 years to make, it’s all on his F/B page Called “Dr Peter Dobias, Natural Healing For Dogs” he has a 15-16yr old dog that runs around like he’s a puppy same as my 8yr old he runs & acts like a young puppy…. Diet is the key to a healthy dog…

#96223 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Why are you looking for a senior formula? Just about all of them, except for Orijen senior, are much too low in protein. Older does need a higher protein food, not less.

#96224 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Shantelle B-
    I like Victor’s senior/healthy weight formula. It still has a decent amount of protein in it while being low in fat and calories. It’s also a great value in my opinion. My two are working on a 40 pound bag right now. Hope this helps!

#96285 Report Abuse
    Shantelle B

I am looking for senior because she is starting to show her age.

I also forgot to mention that she needs to avoid rosemary. (she has seizures)

#96287 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

She doesn’t need a senior food. As I said, with the exception of Orijen senior, just about all senior foods are too low in protein.

#96475 Report Abuse
    Shantelle B

Sorry, but Orijen has rosemary.

#96482 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I am trying to tell you that your dog does not need a senior food.

#96499 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Shantelle B-
    AAFCO does not have a specific nutrient profile for senior food. They only have two: Growth & Reproduction and Maintenance. Here is a link explaining: /frequently-asked-questions/aafco-nutrient-profiles/

Therefore, if a company sells a senior food, it is based on what they believe a senior dog food should be. Usually a little lower in calories, fat and protein with more glucosamine and fish oil.

What exactly are you looking for? Are you sure that Rosemary triggers her seizures?

#96594 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, the Canidae Pure Meadow Senior formula has no Rosemary, it has only 9 ingredients & smells really good, has crunchy kibbles, my boy has been pinching the neighbors dog food when he visits, Canidae sells the smaller bag, maybe give it a try & see if she likes it…
    https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products/canidae-grain-free-pure-meadow-dry-formula

#96611 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

That does look good, Susan. Great find!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.