Senior dog, need food with 20-25% protein and 10% fat

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Senior dog, need food with 20-25% protein and 10% fat

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Blaire S

Vet diagnosed our 8 yr old Tibetan terrier mix as being on the edge of kidney disease. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Vet wants her to lose weight, limit her protein to 20-25%, and fat to 10%.

#113523 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Blaire-
    Sorry to hear about your pup. I just did a search on Chewy for senior healthy weight recipes and came up with this:

https://www.chewy.com/s?rh=c%3A288%2Cc%3A332%2Cc%3A294%2CLifestage%3ASenior%2CSpecialDiet%3AWeight+Control

Looks like Wellness Complete Healthy Senior Food might be a good option for her. Wellness is a highly regarded brand on this site.

There are a couple of others that might fit your needs as well. Did the vet recommend a prescription diet for her?

#113578 Report Abuse
    Blaire S

Yes, Royal Canin, which is not my first choice! The weight is easy–my husband is limiting treats to one a day instead of over ten! He finally gets it. She needs to weigh around 27 lbs, is 32 now.

#113579 Report Abuse
    Blaire S

Yes, Royal Canin, which is not my first choice! The weight is easy–my husband is limiting treats to one a day instead of over ten! He finally gets it. She needs to weigh around 27 lbs, is 32 now.

Just checked the Chewy link, Wellness looks perfect! Thank you so much!

#113589 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

You’re very welcome! Hope it works out. Btw, I feed one of my cats a prescription Royal Canin dry food. He’s done very well on it.

Limiting treats is hard! Our pets can be so darn convincing.

Best wishes to you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.