Senior dog food Editor's Choice

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Senior dog food Editor's Choice

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    MJ H

What is your Editor’s choice for senior large breed dogs?

#66165 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I can’t answer about the Editors Choice but senior dogs don’t need a senior specific food. Most of them are too low in protein. Senior dogs need higher protein, not low.

#66172 Report Abuse
    MJ H

Thank you!

#66173 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I have 3 senior dogs and one that is a year old. They all eat the same food. I recommend Fromm, Wellness, Annamaet, Victor, Naturej’s Variety, Nutrisource.

#66174 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Actually, If I were you I’d go to the Editor’s choice or the 4 or 5 star reviewed foods and look to see what is available to you and start your research there. I also order online sometimes, if I can’t get the formula of food I want locally. Chewy.com is a great place to start there. Good luck!

#66188 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

There is no official recognized category for “seniors”. Foods either meet criteria for “growth” or “maintenance” which includes all adults. For seniors, I would just pick a quality food and give additional supplements for age-related issues.

#69418 Report Abuse
    Cheryl H

I’m confused. My dog,Winston, is recovering from an illness that I thought might have resulted from a “bad bag” of Blue Basics. His blood work indicated an elevated level of calcium. We’re waiting for results of additional tests. In the meantime, Winston is eating prescription food– Hills I/D GI formula. I had decided to transition Winston to Fromm grain free lamb & lentil dry food, based on positive posts and reviews of Fromm products. Yesterday my vet said I should switch to a lower protein adult formula and specifically recommended Science Diet. Winston is a 7-1/2 year old Llasa Apso mix. Any suggestions for a good quality food with an appropriate protein level?

#69424 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Cheryl H, What was the reason your vet recommended a lower protein food?

#69432 Report Abuse
    Cheryl H

Nothing more specific than “senior” dog foods contain lower amounts of protein and are better for older dogs.

#69433 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

The I mean no offense to your vet but he is wrong. Do some googling; senior dogs need more protein, not less! The food he recommended is one he sells, right?

#69446 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Research has shown that protein does not cause kidney problems in dogs, but there was old faulty research that said protein was a problem. The old research was done on rats or mice, not dogs, but vets don’t seem to be able to grasp the new research, which is still many years old.

In reality, older dogs lose some of the ability to get protein out of their food but their need for protein is not reduced AT ALL. Because of this, senior dogs may actually need as much as 50% more quality protein just to get the same amount of protein from their diet. BUT quality is the key phrase, real meat is healthier than more kibble

#69492 Report Abuse
    Cheryl H

Thank you all for your advice. I am not going to feed Winston Science Diet even though my vet recommends it. Canidae Pure Sky and Wellness Simple Turkey and Potato have been recommended.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.