See Spot Live Longer is retiring Dinner Mixes as of December

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Supplements See Spot Live Longer is retiring Dinner Mixes as of December

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Kristin C

I was placing a new order yesterday and the SSLL website says they are going to stop selling their dinner mix because Steve Brown is retiring. What a disappointment as I just started using it and it was going to be my go to for homemade raw. Just wanted to post in case anyone else relies on the product

#56590 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Drats, and I thought we were going to convince him to make a product for bone in meats. What a bummer!

I guess I’m glad I bought too much the last time I bought it.

#56591 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Yeah I bought 3 lbs which will at least get me through until I find something else. It’s hard to find products with ingredients I like. It’s too bad he can’t just sell the company to someone reputable.

#56592 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Oh, thank you, Kristin. I will place an order today!

#56598 Report Abuse
    Dori

I’ve never tried the SSLL I’ve just gone back to using THK after they removed the alfalfa. How does SSLL Dinner Mixes compare to THK formulas that you add your own protein to. I’m thinking maybe I should order some for rotation while it’s still around. Who likes it, who’s meh about it and who has had adverse reactions with it? Thanks everyone.

Forgot to ask what sizes you buy and how long is it’s shelf life? Thanks guys, I guess I’m late to the game on this one. I’m looking for another pre-mix dehydrated since I don’t want to keep giving the girls so much fish (Zeal).

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dori.
    #56603 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Gideon and Angel do great on it, but Micah can’t have it.

#56604 Report Abuse
    Dori

What’s in it that Micah can’t have?

#56608 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

I’ve only tried THK samples. I like the SSLL better, it’s a powder versus chunky and it doesn’t need water, just mix into meat. I only bought 1 lb the first time about 6 weeks ago. I haven’t been using it much with my 2 dogs but it will probably be gone by the end of the month because I’ll use it more on vacation. I don’t see an expiration date on the package tho. The production date is May 2014. I would imagine it has 6-12 month shelf life.

#56609 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks Kristin C. I’ll pass on the SSLL as my dogs like their food chunky. I’m glad I waited before ordering any. : )

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dori.
    #56614 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Dori

SSLL is a powder to sprinkle on boneless meat, so you can have it as chunky as you like. I really like it for dogs that you are trying to restrict carbs on. You only use 1 tablespoon per pound of meat. Angel needs fiber added to her SSLL, because it is so nutrient dense/low fiber.

#56623 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

What???? Noooooooo! I love this stuff for Bentley 🙁 I’ll have to order a few bags. They last him forever (about 5 months by my calculations, but we are still working on the first bag). I’d hate to put him back on canned, plus it’d cost more 🙁

#56625 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I buy too much of it and then store it in the freezer until I need it.

#56626 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Good idea BC. I’ll store my extra bags in the freezer until I need them. I’m searching for another mix I can move onto after my SSLL stash is gone but not finding anything so far. Anyone ever tried Better In The Raw?

#56630 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve used CarnivoreRaw before. It has bone-in and boneless options (with or w/o calcium) and it’s a powder. You can find it at youngagainpetfood.com.

#56632 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Dori
    Somehow I didn’t see your earlier post. Micah can’t have flaxseed. The only premixes that I’ve found so far that Micah can have are Preference and Dr Harvey’s Veg to Bowl. I haven’t tried Preference yet, so I don’t know how he’ll do on it though.

#56633 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hey BC, What happens when Micah has flax? Sam can’t have flax either because it gives him gas and loose stool.

I feel terrible that I ever have him THK Perfect Form, which has flax. No wonder it didn’t work for him!

#56649 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Ears, skin, and eye goobers.

#56652 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks everyone that answered my questions about SSLL. Katie doesn’t do too well with flax seed if I give it to her too often. The other two do fine on it but since Katie is the occasional poop eater and I’m not the only one letting them out in the yard and going with them, I guess I’ll pass. I know flax is suppose to be good for you but really!!! Does it have to be in almost everything???? JEESH!

#56655 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

How ’bout it, Dori! Trying to find foods without flax has been a real challenge for me.

#56656 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Me too!

#56657 Report Abuse
    Dori

It’s exhausting. Especially when it’s not only flax we’re trying to avoid but other sensitivities also. Flax doesn’t give Katie gas or bad breath or eye buggers it makes her itchy all over. Non stop scratching.

#56659 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I think it was flax that perplexed me for a long time when I was trying to isolate problem ingredients. When exposed, Sam developed gas and loose stool pretty quickly, so I would usually stop what he was eating and move on. I could never feed it to him long enough to see if he reacted with his gunky ear like Micah.

Flax seems so delicate, too. It goes rancid very quickly.

#56660 Report Abuse
    Dori

Sorry BC but it contains ground flaxseed.

#56698 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

FYI, I just read on their website SSLL is working with a larger company on dinner mixes which will be available Spring 2015. That sounds promising for any fans of the product.

#57379 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Edited.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #57386 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

CarnivoreRaw doesn’t have flax!

#57389 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Thanks Sandy, I’ll look at it again and see if I can spot why I didn’t buy it in the past.

#57392 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It was the first ingredient, natural poultry flavor(chicken liver and heart) that kept me from using this in the past. I’ll probably get some to try for Angel and Gideon when my SSLL runs low.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.