See Spot Live Longer Dinner Mix and Oil Question

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition See Spot Live Longer Dinner Mix and Oil Question

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    GizmoMom

Just got my order of See Spot Live Longer Dinner Mix in the mail. What kind of oil can I add to the mix other than fish oil/salmon oil? My dog is allergic to fish oil and salmon oil. I think he’s also allergic/intolerant to fish.

Do I need to gradually switch the food? He’s been on THK Preference with cooked ground bison for about 3 weeks. Before this he was on K9 Natural freeze dried lamb, K9 Natural freeze dried venison and Wysong Epigen 90. And before this he was on many brands of premade raw. I’ve also tried PMR, but can’t keep up with it due to freezer space.

#32821 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Nature’s Logic has a sardine oil and I think you can buy anchovy oil as well. But if fish oil is out of the question, then my next oil would be to use olive oil and coconut oil, rotate with Udo’s oil (or similar).

#32823 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

Thanks Pugmomsandy. The first fish oil I tried on him contains anchovy and sardine. His eyes got really red and he was scratching at them. Same thing happened with the salmon oil. I guess no more fish oil for him.

I am giving him coconut oil. Do I need to add olive oil?

#32828 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Yes. Coconut oil is a different oil than omega 3. It’s a bit confusing! This might help.

http://www.antiaginganswers.net/healthyfats.html

Looks like olive oil has more omega 6 than 3 so flax, chia, hemp oils will be more beneficial.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by pugmomsandy.
    #32833 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

Thanks so much!

#32835 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Swanson even has an omega 3 product from calamari!

#32843 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

That’s interesting! I’ll try the plant based for now. Since he’s allergic to fish, he might be allergic to calamari.

#32859 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Krill and squid are completely different than fish, so might be OK. The problem with using flax is that dogs are inefficient at converting the ALA in flax to the DHA that they need. They only convert about 15%, so you could need to use even more of it to get enough of the benefits.

#32866 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

Thanks Patty. I could try it.

#32868 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi GizmoMom,

The reason fish have Omega 3’s is because they eat algae that is high in Omega 3’s. There are now Omega 3 supplements made from Algae. Search online for omega 3 algae oil and go from there. It is the same forms of Omega 3 (EPA and DHA) as the different fish oils so it will be well absorbed and it is not from fish!

Coconut oil is good for it’s antifungal qualities and dogs usually like the taste of it. I think that EPA and DHA Omega 3’s are the best supplement for a dogs skin, coat and brain as well as having anti-inflammatory and anti-depressant effects. Coconut oi is a great supplement for a dog with yeasty fungally skin.

Omega 6’s like Olive and other Vegetable oils are usually plentiful in a dog’s diet, so as long as you rotate Meats, Fish, Poultry, Veggies and Fruits you should be fine in the Omega 6 category.

Good Luck!!!

#32869 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

USA Dog Treats, Thanks for all the info!

#32892 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

I think Gizmo is allergic to See Spot mix. I decided to switch cold turkey from THK Preference to See Spot mix. Still using ground bison. He was chewing his feet and scratching his ears about 5 minutes after eating. I haven’t add any oil yet. The only change is from THK Preference to See Spot mix.

#32896 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It does have a few ingredients that could trigger an adverse food reaction. Take him off of it for a few weeks and if you want to make sure, try it again for a short time and see if he starts reacting again.

Keep the ingredient list so you can try to work out what it has in common with any other foods he may react to in the future.

#32914 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

Thanks Patty. I’ll try again. For now he’s doing okay on THK. I’m going to stop cooking it and feed it raw.

I’m also looking at this food. What do you think of it?
    http://www.feedthis.com/

#32926 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I like it!! They don’t go into detail about how much of this or that is in their diets, but if you are rotating, that wouldn’t bother me at all. I like how they do the even and odd month supplements.

#32945 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

I think I’ll try them and see how it goes.

#32969 Report Abuse

you can also try hempseed oil, its high in omega 3’s and good alternative to fish oil.

#32977 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

Thanks. Will look into that.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.