đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TranceSends

When I type “toy breed” (no quotes) in the search engine on the main website (not the forum), no reviews for toy breed dog food are returned. However, there are actually reviews that reference toy breed dog food on dogfoodadvisor.com, such as “Nutro Ultra Toy Breed Adult”. The search function just doesn’t find it. Even worse, a search on the word “toy” returns zero results — no match at all!

Here’s what is actually returned when I type “Toy Breed”; note that “Nutro Ultra” is not included in any form:

Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition (Canned)
    How to Choose the Best Large Breed Puppy Food and Lower Your Dog’s Risk of Hip Dysplasia
    Dr. Gary’s Best Breed Grain Free (Dry)
    Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Puppy (Dry)
    Dr. Gary’s Best Breed Dog Food (Dry)
    Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Adult (Dry)
    Eukanuba Breed Specific Formulas (Dry)

The only way to find reviews for Toy Breed dry dog food on this website is to use Google, which is itself hit-and-miss, a needle in a haystack method.

#113759 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

I would just look through brands. The search function doesn’t work exactly the way you’d like unfortunately. Not to mention few brands have actual toy breed foods. I would maybe broaden your search to small breed instead. Most brands will have that. Or all breed foods tend to be smaller pieces as well. But I would just find a few brands you agree with and trust and see if they have a small kibbled food.

#113760 Report Abuse
    TranceSends

Yep, that is the work around:
    Look through brands listed here, consider small breed (tried many), use other search engines, including Google, Amazon.com, Chewy.com, and specific manufacturer websites. I’ve done all of that, for years.

In the meantime, the search engine here at dogfoodadvisor.com remains the same — inadequate. There ARE toy breed reviews here; it just doesn’t reveal them.

“few brands have actual toy breed foods” — Yes, exactly. That’s what makes the inadequate search engine here all the more exasperating, and why “look through brands” requires so much time and effort.

#113763 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

So you’re fine with any toy breed food? I suggested looking through brands because there are better brands than others. And most people want to stick to certain brands. What exactly are you looking for in a small breed food? Some good ones I know of are, Merrick Lil plates, Canidae pure fields, solid gold mighty mini, and natures variety small breed.
    The only “toy” breed I can think of off the top of my head is Royal Canin, blue buffalo, and nutro. There won’t be much difference other then maybe a little bit smaller than toy breed. But unless your dog is under 5 lbs and has little to no teeth a small breed food should work.

#113766 Report Abuse
    TranceSends

No, of course I’m not fine with any toy breed food, that’s why I’m here!

You are trying to help me find toy dog breed food for some reason — I appreciate the effort but that is not the problem.

The problem is finding reviews using the search engine on this website — for anyone, not just me.

#113771 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

I was attempting to find you a good small breed food because I know how to navigate the site. That’s what the other users are here for. 😉

#113772 Report Abuse
    TranceSends

Yes thank you, I know you were only trying to be helpful. But I’ve been following this site since before it had a paid subscription feature, and I’m familiar with how to navigate it.

I just keep hoping the search engine will be improved…one day…some day…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.