salt-free source of canned tuna ?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum salt-free source of canned tuna ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Peter S

Hi, does anyone know of a particular brand of canned tuna that would NOT come with added salt ? I really want to start feeding some canned tuna occasionally to my adult lab but during a recent Costco trip, I looked at every single type of canned tuna they sold (about 5-6 types) and they all contained salt in the ingredient list. Thanx in advance for advice !

#57246 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Were they all packed in water? I have heard that it is easier to find ones with no added salt if they are packed in oil or in the pouches, but I haven’t gone looking either, so I don’t know how reliable that is.

#57259 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Are you really stuck on tuna or can you try other canned fish? I think tuna tends to have more mercury than the other smaller fish choices like salmon, sardines and mackerel.

#57273 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Peter, tuna comes from the salty sea water so you can’t get it completey salt free, but you can get no salt added…
    I found John West boneless & skinless salmon in spring water in the round tin, not long tin this had no sodium added..Don’t get tuna in brine this is salty the only other thing to do is rinse it, With the salmon, if I dont get the John West boneless skinless salmon & get another brand I drain the water then I add normal water & rinse the salmon a few times…but tuna is different its more flaky…

#57309 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Peter. You’re better off giving your dog canned sardines in water ( you’ll find them at you local grocery store). Sardines are very short lived thereby not being subjected to the same amount of toxins in the waters. Tuna contains the highest levels of mercury than any other fish. Pregnant women are even advised not to eat any tuna during the length of their pregnancy and breast feeding. Also no raw fish for the same reason.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dori.
    #57315 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Peter –

My grocery store sells Wild Planet no salt added tuna. As an added bonus it’s lower in mercury than most tuna because they poll and troll catch small fish. It’s also high in omega 3’s and the cans are BPA free. I use it and I also give it to my dogs and cats sometimes.

#57330 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi HDM. How often do you feed your crew the Wild Planet no salt added tuna? I’ve never seen the Wild Planet brand.

#58019 Report Abuse
    Peter S

thanx everyone for the replies … i actually found an affordable source of canned sardines (instead of tuna) packed in water only … i’m gonna go with those for awhile, see how my guys do with it !

#58031 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Peter S. Glad you went with sardines packed in water instead of tuna. Hope your guy does well. Just wanted to add that you should only feed sardines to your dog 2 or 3 times a week. Not every day or every meal. I think I may have neglected to add that to my original reply to you. That would have been the same with canned tuna also. I mentioned the reasons why I do not use canned tuna. Tuna and swordfish have been found to have the highest levels of mercury.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.