🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    InkedMarie

I’ve been using Vital Choice liquid salmon oil and these little bottles are a pain in the butt. They leak all over the place, glad they’re almost gone.
    I’m going to buy salmon oil capsules but I don’t know if I need 500mg or 1000mg. The dogs are 21lbs for one and the other two are both around 32lbs.

thanks in advance!

#25372 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Look on the label info where it says how much DHA and EPA is in the capsule. You want 100mg of the 2 added together for every 10lbs of dog. So you want 200mg of DHA + EPA for the 21lb dog and 300mg for the 32lb dogs

#25375 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Patty, tell me if I’m reading this right. This is the 1000 mg ones. It’s THREE softgels per serving for 600mg total of dha/epa. So, that would mean that Gemma would take one softgel and the other two would take two, am I right?

Nutrition Facts
    Alaskan Sockeye Salmon Oil -1000mg, 90ct
    Serving Size 3 Softgels
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 30 Calories from Fat 30
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 3g 5%
    Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
    Cholesterol 30mg 10%
    Sodium
    Total Carbohydrate
    Dietary Fiber
    Sugars
    Protein
    • Omega-3s 600mg (EPA 240mg / DHA 220mg)
    • Vitamin A 1440 IU
    • Vitamin D 430 IU
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

#25386 Report Abuse
    scottNY

My puppy does not like to take pills, disguised or otherwise, so I started giving him Grizzly Salmon Oil – All Natural, which I get at a good price from amazon.com. He seems to be okay with the smell and taste and being that he has a sensitive digestive track, I don’t have the worry of him burping up fish oil. Has anyone used this product and what do you think of it?

Thanks!

#25396 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Marie, yes, you have it right. You could even give them two one day and one the next, if you wanted to, but I find I have trouble remembering whether yesterday was one or two.

Hi Scott, at least three different people here have mentioned using it in the past. I like it just fine, but I tend to prefer human grade. I just poke a hole in the caosule and squeeze it out on the food.

#25399 Report Abuse
    scottNY

Patty – would you believe I tried that and the little devil wouldn’t go near it? He just barely likes the Grizzly, but I notice it does have a different smell, possibly because the Omega capsules I use aren’t intended to be opened. I may try alternating to see how he handles it. I would be much less expensive if I could give mine. Maybe now that fish oil isn’t so unusual to him, he will be a little more flexible.

#25401 Report Abuse
    losul

Scott, that grizzly comes in a plastic bottle and is preserved with rosemary, right?

I only use those that come in either a very dark glass bottle or epoxied aluminum bottle, and only preserved with mixed tocopherols. I keep it in frig, and after a month or so, I refresh the tocopherols in it to replace the ones that likely become used up. Nearly non detectable odor or taste. This is what I am currently using, the sardine/anchovy oil, next time I will rotate with their salmon oil.

#25407 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That’s what I used last. I really like it. I didn’t notice any smell at all. I’ve heard that the good ones don’t smell, that smell develops as they are starting to go bad.

#25410 Report Abuse
    losul

I was just on their website and found that the sardine and anchovy IS wild caught (I dont think they can be farmed at all anyway) but Iceland Pure does admit to using Norweigian farmed salmon for their salmon oil, so since Ive seen that, and even though they give a good story, i will definitely have to rethink ever trying the salmon oil.

http://www.icelandpure.com/QA_salmon.pdf

Real wild caught salmon is really getting to be a real luxury nowadays, I wonder how many lie about it. I almost could have sworn Iceland Pure used to use wild caught salmon.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by losul.
    #25413 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I don’t know about what they used to use, but I have known for months that it was the anchovy/sardine oil I wanted to use. Maybe something HDM said. Maybe something on Hare Today’s website.

#25419 Report Abuse
    losul

yeah, I’m very happy with the sardine/anchovy. Probably someone else besides HDM, Im pretty sure she only likes the gel-caps.

#25423 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

She used to use others though and has mentioned them before.

#25431 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Losul, the Vital Choice I use: http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=677&idcategory=239 doesn’t say it’s wild caught but it does say purity & potency certified by the NSF, certified sustainable, is virgin, whole, natural and unrefined; I believe that is good? Hoping it does, if it’s not, someone let me know, I haven’t ordered more yet

#25442 Report Abuse
    losul

Marie, yes that brand looks very good, some of the very best for salmon oil I think, but maybe a little pricey. I believe sockeye salmon is excellent, and if Im not mistaken sockeye is never farmed.

One of the other differences is that vital choice is virgin and unrefined, an excellent choice for purists, Iceland pure is distilled and purified. Pluses and minuses on both sides. For one thing the odor and taste.

Edit: one thing, it appears its not preserved with anything, so would have to be extra concerned about freshness.

#25463 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Losul, someone told me awhile back that “mixed tocopherols” are usually soy based; soy and Boone do not mix well and it’s just easier to buy one for all three instead of going cheaper. Now that I think about it, maybe I *should* have two different ones. Far as I know, the girls can have anything.

I think HDM likes Carlson oils; what others do you guys use? Not looking for liquid anymore, tired of these pumps leaking all over the fridge.

#25498 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Ok so I apparently can’t read. The Vital Choice 1000 mg is 3 soft gels per serving.

EPA 240
    DHA 220
    Omega 3 fatty acids are 600

So, I was wrong. Patty Vaughn, you said 200 mg for 21 pound Gemma & 300 mg for the other two. I’m confused now. Unconfuse me please!

#25633 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Marie

So are these numbers per soft gel or per serving? If they are per serving then I would give Gemma 1 one a day and Ginger and Boone would get 1 one day and 2 the next.

#25639 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Patty,
    If you scroll up, there’s a link but the answer is 3 soft gels per serving.

#25642 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I looked at it earlier and thought I remembered that, so I was being lazy. But I meant are those numbers per soft gel or per serving. The answer was still the same, per serving. It’s still one a day for Gemma, but two for Ginger and Boone. I wasn’t mathing earlier today. You could really go two a day for all of them. You’re not in danger of overdosing and a little extra may do Gemma some good.

#25657 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Thanks Patty. I think I’m going to buy something a little cheaper for the girls and keep Boone on the Vital Choice one since I know it has no soy

#32777 Report Abuse
    scottNY

Late response, sorry, but thanks Losul and others. Before I buy the Iceland Pure, which would be my next option, I want to get your opinion and direction on what I am doing now. I personally take NaureMade Fish Oil. I chose that brand after reading reviews, seeing that they are USP/GMP approved and are a very economical choice. Each 2 capsules provide:

Omega-3 EPA – 360 mg
    Omega-3 DPA – 240 mg
    Omega-3 Other – 120 mg

I take 3 a day, but have been giving my 70 lb, 1 yr old Pit mix 1 capsule a day. I mix it in with some wet food [I rotate between 5 Star canned foods from the HDM food list] and he just swallows the pill right down.

So:

1 – is this a good option?
    2 – if so, is this the right dosage?
    3 – is the Iceland Pure a much better option? He is a very picky eater so I am concerned that it could turn out to be another waste of money.

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by scottNY.
    #32790 Report Abuse
    losul

Hello Scott. I think it’s mostly a matter of personal preference. If you’re confident as to the quality of the product you use for yourself, and your dog swallows the pills readily, I see no problem, and more economical to use something you are also using. Just keep a tab on the freshness. You might open one of the gelcaps occasionally and taste it.

For me, it’s handy to keep a bottle of the IP in the refrigerator door, all I have to do is open the refrigerator and give a pump right into dog bowl, without even removing the bottle.

The IP contains 727 mg EPA and 498 mg DHA per teaspoon. 2 pumps equals 1 teaspoon. Directions call for 2 pumps for dogs 50 pounds or under, 3 pumps for 50 to 100 pounds, and 5 pumps for over 100 pounds. I usually only give my 35 lb dog one pump daily, though, he also gets some sardines, salmon and poultry eggs sometimes.

The IP is labeled for pet use only, even though it is claimed to be pharmaceutical grade. My dog graciously shares it with us anyway. I buy the large 33 ounce bottle, (about 24 bucks) it’s only a buck or two more than the half size (on Amazon). Freshly opened, the oil has very little taste to it, I have to say though, that even after adding additional tocopherols to it myself, after maybe 4 months the taste starts becoming noticeably stronger and a few weeks beyond that, the taste starts to become repulsive. So I throw out the remaining few ounces and replace.

I think you could probably double or more the gelcap dosage if you wanted to for your dog, if he’s not obtaining too much EPA DHA from other sources.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by losul.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by losul.
    #32796 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I use a liquid but from Vital Choice, no soy or anything to bother my allergy dog. I should look at IP for the other two.

#32799 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Scott
    You should feed 2 capsules most days and 3 every once in a while. The dosage is 100mg of DHA and EPA combined for every 10 lbs of body weight, so 2 capsules is the dose for a 60 lb dog.

#103594 Report Abuse
    Nischay S

Hey my dog is 14kgs and i bought Beaphar salmon oil for him . How much should i serve him and how many times in a day ?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.