rx dog food not on list?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum rx dog food not on list?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cdubau
    Participant

Vet has prescribed a sensitive stomach food for my boy. He seems to be doing much better on it.

Why aren’t they rated?

#70529 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Here is an explanation:

/frequently-asked-questions/veterinary-prescription-dog-food/

Glad to hear your dog is doing better on the food. Do you plan to keep him on it long-term?

#70595 Report Abuse
    cdubau
    Participant

I kind of feel that’s a cop out. Thanks for answering my question though! I’m going to consult with my vet. I don’t like the idea of the first two ingredients of this sensitive diet food are grain and rice. Third is dried egg protein and fourth is chicken meal.

#70597 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I guess I can understand where the creator is coming from. I currently have a cat with a medical condition that warrants Rx food. I have been feeding it to him for about six months now and it is healing his urinary tract. So, for him the prescription food should be rated a big 10 as I think it is saving his life. I am currently weaning him off of it and making some other important changes as well. But, for my other three healthy cats, the food would be OK to feed them, but not optimal because they do not have the same health condition and are fine eating regular food, the Rx food would probably only be rated a 2 or 3 for them.

Yes, by all means if you think your dog is doing better and want to transition to a non Rx food, consult with your vet and see what he/she thinks. I think I would want to do that also if I were in your position. You might want to start with a limited ingredient food such as, California Natural, Nature’s Variety, or Natural balance recipes. Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.